The Student Room Group

UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME Edexcel Maths Calculator paper 09/06/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Original post by hamza772000
Ok Thanks a lot.:biggrin: I'm excited to see what I got.:tongue:

Maths is one of the only exams you do not get a breakdown on your results slips for, because it is linear. However, if you are eager you can contact your school and see your mark per paper or even mark per question! I know this as I sat in June 2015, Nov 2015 and June 2016. Good luck!
Original post by ad4m
Maths is one of the only exams you do not get a breakdown on your results slips for, because it is linear. However, if you are eager you can contact your school and see your mark per paper or even mark per question! I know this as I sat in June 2015, Nov 2015 and June 2016. Good luck!
Thanks a lot bro!:biggrin:
Reply 2142
Original post by DamnDaniel2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465587242.167366.jpg ok so if you look at this you can see the highest grade boundaries was in june 2013. I just did the non calc paper and managed to get 96/100 whereas the 2016 paper we did I only managed to get high 80s maybe low 90s. It was definitely apparent that the june 2013 paper was much easier. Do you think the grade boundaries will be around 169?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nobody knows, it all depends on the nation as a whole and the percentage of students they want to give A* to. They give A* to a certain number of students (around 5% last year). They won't just give the top 10% A*, they will give A* to those you demonstrate they are capable of A* by tackling the A* questions and getting them right. Past grade boundaries really have nothing to do with it. It my opinion Nov 2015 was harder than June but GB was 167 for A* in Nov compared to 155 in June. The setting of the GB depend on so much more than if the exam was easy or not. However, personally I can't see it going any higher than 170 simply because it has never done. Good luck with your results!
Original post by DamnDaniel2
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465587242.167366.jpg ok so if you look at this you can see the highest grade boundaries was in june 2013. I just did the non calc paper and managed to get 96/100 whereas the 2016 paper we did I only managed to get high 80s maybe low 90s. It was definitely apparent that the june 2013 paper was much easier. Do you think the grade boundaries will be around 169?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your 2013 figures are for the November paper. Based on your rationale the grade for A* will be lower than 165. I would not be so certain of this.
Original post by hamza772000
Oh, thanks a lot and do you get your marks too?

No, I am a teacher of Maths but not that experienced with year 11! Good luck!
Original post by MissBdaviesMaths
No, I am a teacher of Maths but not that experienced with year 11! Good luck!
Ok. Thanks a lot. You were really helpful.:smile:
Original post by ad4m
Nobody knows, it all depends on the nation as a whole and the percentage of students they want to give A* to. They give A* to a certain number of students (around 5% last year). They won't just give the top 10% A*, they will give A* to those you demonstrate they are capable of A* by tackling the A* questions and getting them right. Past grade boundaries really have nothing to do with it. It my opinion Nov 2015 was harder than June but GB was 167 for A* in Nov compared to 155 in June. The setting of the GB depend on so much more than if the exam was easy or not. However, personally I can't see it going any higher than 170 simply because it has never done. Good luck with your results!

As far as I am aware, it doesn't actually depend on the national results, hence GCSE results going up and down. A group of officials meet and decide how many marks are needed for a grade A, then work proportionally from that. This is based on the level of the questions asked, not how they are answered. I feel that these grade boundaries will be fairly average, ie 165-170 for an A*, 130-135 for an A,etc

I am a maths teacher, but not very experienced in GCSE grades/marking etc

Good luck all.
Reply 2147
As far as I am aware, it doesn't actually depend on the national results, hence GCSE results going up and down. A group of officials meet and decide how many marks are needed for a grade A, then work proportionally from that. This is based on the level of the questions asked, not how they are answered. I feel that these grade boundaries will be fairly average, ie 165-170 for an A*, 130-135 for an A,etc

I am a maths teacher, but not very experienced in GCSE grades/marking etc

Good luck all.

Yeah it's mainly that but the government set some rules about the amount of students allowed to be allocated each grade. And when they grade it they look at the tasks for each grade, it is very rare A* and C will rise, usually A* rises and C lowers or vice verse (observed in June and Nov 2015).
Original post by ad4m

lol why did you sit the exams so many times
Reply 2149
Original post by ScrewTheExams
lol why did you sit the exams so many times

Primarily because I wanted to to be honest. School encouraged me to do it early and I remember my maths teacher in Year 9 telling me to not give up until I get an A*. Got 134/200 in June A, Got 166/200 in Nov A (1 mark off A*), and hopefully managed to get an A* this time! It's amazing what changes your attitude when someone believes in you! Plus I'm doing maths at A Level so I didn't really see the point of giving it up.
Original post by Salinaa
Yeah I got 3.8 aswell

It was 3.8. I believe you would get marks as follows:

(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3 and 4
(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.5 and 3.9
(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.7 and 3.8
(1) 3.8 as the conclusion
Original post by Moonbunny
I think i got that too. The angle was 75.
I went wrong by forgetting to double the radius!

Ah yes I did the same! Damn it what a silly mistake. Ah well we should still get some marks. I think we'll only lose 1 mark for that.
Original post by Majourdawarf1
By last years standards, that would be a
B, but very close to an A (A is 145)
Posted from TSR Mobile

A is not 145, the highest it has ever been is 141, and usually its about 125-135 for an A
Is there a worked solutions paper?
Original post by jamesM22
Exactly. Since when do you count the 3.5? Never done that for trial and improvement. Always been what is closer

Bro your 100% right the answer is 3.7, not 3.8 this proves it, on this trial and improvement question, question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/2hjune2012ans.pdf

Like you 3.7 is closer because when you take away the number from ti, it's closer than 3.8.

People that thinks the answer is 3.8 is wrong lol.
It was 3.8. I believe you would get marks as follows:

(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3 and 4
(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.5 and 3.9
(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.7 and 3.8
(1) 3.8 as the conclusion

Your actually wrong the answer is in fact, 3.7, the evidence is right here on this old test paper go to question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/4hjune2013ans.pdf
3.8 is the correct answer for the trial and improvement question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Usmaan345
3.8 is the correct answer for the trial and improvement question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you are so wrong lol, it's actually 3.7, go on the link question 11 i sent on a previous comment.
Hey guys, I was wondering when a thread for the foundation paper 2 mark scheme will be released or created. There a lot of students who are really eager to find out what their answers were and whether they were correct. There seems to be a lot of thread for the higher tier maths paper 2 , but not for foundation. I'd really appreciate if someone could create one.

I hope you all did well with whatever tier exam you did...GOOD LUCK ON RESULTS DAY!
👊🏻😉
Original post by Ikilliloot
Your actually wrong the answer is in fact, 3.7, the evidence is right here on this old test paper go to question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/4hjune2013ans.pdf
Sorry, but the answer is in fact 3.8 because when you put the 3.75 in to the calculation the answer is smaller than the one the question was looking for, therefore the number should be rounded up to 3.8 to give the correct answer to 1 d.p. :smile:

Check this video out for real proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8e2nN-L3E

Quick Reply

Latest