Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

gf has an overprotective dad.... oh God

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hey there, I've been having this problem with my relationship lately. Would be glad if anyone could give an idea what to do

So me and my girlfriend have been together for a year now, but we hardly see eachother. It's not like we're not in love anymore, she's still crazy for me :3
    Actually, it's her dad who doesn't allow her to see me. You might ask why? Because he simply hates all his daughters' partners (her older sister had the same problem), even after she told him I'm a well-behaved guy with lots of good grades etc. She's 18 and I'm 19 by the way.
    So after his rules, we couldn't meet AT ALL. She's sometimes not even allowed to go out with regular friends, let alone with me. Going to the cinema? Barely possible. Hanging out? Forget it. Watching a DVD in my apartment? Not in a thousand years. This is beyond strict and I can't comprehend it. Still we see eachother about once every two weeks, just she doesn't tell him.

Additionally, she's too afraid to give him her opinion because she wants to avoid any drama at all cost. Her dad seems like the type of person you can't have a reasonable talk with. Moving out is not an option either as that would give her a bad conscience (which I can't understand to be honest).

The situation might look hopeless, but does anyone have an idea about what I could do here? I'm moving to a different city in September because of university, so it might become even harder then ... Thanks for any advice !

Perhaps wen and if she moves to Uni then things will become easier?
    Is there a culture, ethnic or religious angle?
    What about the mother, do you get on well with her?
    What about your parents, do they talk to hers?
    Btw when you go to uni then ldrs become a whole lot more challenging.

If you can't talk to him and she wont do anything then you are backed into a corner.

Are you even meant to be in contact?

I cant decide what I would do between talk to him (man to man so to speak)or just work with what you have.. Depends which side of bed I got out of and how I gauged him.

You can't really do much, it's between her and her father.

EDIT: Misread title as overprotective God and didn't read the OP I'm sorry

I mean unless she moves out or stands up for herself there isn't going to be much you can do.

Realistically if you're going long term, this guy might be your father in law, food for thought?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.