The Student Room Group

Grading system in Nursing BSc

Does each university have their own criteria for what is required for a 2:1 or first class etc? or is it universal? - meaning someone achieving 2:1 at one university would have been graded the same if their work had been marked by another university.

According to Uniststats, my firm choice for adult nursing states that on average 22.77% of students achieve a first class, but for another university 48.48% achieve a first class.
I imagine this is down to quality of teaching, resources & facilities but also down to the kind of students the university gave their offers to. This piqued my interest into whether or not the grading system is different uni to uni.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know the ins and outs but I (almost) have two degrees.
My first degree in psychology was at Wolverhampton where a 2.1/1st seemed quite achievable.
Now I'm almost at the end of nursing at Nottingham and have found I'm bordering on a 2.2/2.1 (looking likely I'll get a 2.2). I definitely think the marking is stricter at Nottingham.
Obviously the degrees are different and me getting fed up being in education has probably played a part but I've felt no matter how hard I try I rarely get above a 2.2. So yes I would say the more respected universities have a stricter marking policy.
But your grade doesn't really matter in nursing tbh :smile:
I'm hoping I'll get a 2.1 but if I get a 2.2 and qualify as a nurse that would still be awesome
Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I don't know the answer to this. But I do find marking at my uni is also harsh. I recently did an assignment and got a 2:2 and tried my damned hardest. So my dream of getting an overall first is seeming abit unrealistic at the minute. Like previous poster said it doesn't really matter with nursing because they are that desperate for nurses. But I wanted a first overall for my own personal reasons. To prove to myself I can

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest