The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1
By which is the best self-catered, i really mean which is in the best location, as i can find out the rest myself (hopefully). In my first year I am likely to have lectures at both campuses. Ideally I would like to be somewhere fairly close to New College.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
James!
By which is the best self-catered, i really mean which is in the best location, as i can find out the rest myself (hopefully). In my first year I am likely to have lectures at both campuses. Ideally I would like to be somewhere fairly close to New College.

Can't help you with the Pollock stuff I'm afriad, but here's a map http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/maps/accomm_locations_20_May_2005.pdf that shows the locations of all the Uni residences. I think some might be Post Grads only, but it gives you an idea of where things are in the city. As a rough guide, it'll take 30mins to walk from the George Sq campus to King's Buildings. None of the SC residences are too far from George Square, but if you think you'll be at KB it might be best to go for South Clerk St, or somewhere there, although that's not the closest to New College, it does mean the early morning/late afternoon trek to/from KB is slightly less!

Darroch court is generally thought the best SC accom, as it's probably one of the newer ones and the flats all have their own washing machines. Apart from that, and location, there really isn't much to choose between the SC flats.
The houses you mentioned are basically the same- they were built at the same time and have pretty much the same design. Although I'm told Grant is falling apart.
Reply 4
I had a couple of friends who lived in Grant. It was known as the ghetto and they all got 'Ghetto Superstar' printed across the back of their hoodies. Had a really good social scene though but most of the houses do.
:laugh: i think I've applied for one of Baird, Ewing, Grant, Lee, Turner though I can't really remember.
i stayed in Ewing last year - to be honest if you get into pollock your going to have an amazing year regardless of where you are. yes all the above houses are identical but Grant is the only one that hasn't been upgraded in the late 90's - it's the same as it was when the Commonwealth Games where held in Edinb urgh back in the 70's

Latest

Trending

Trending