The Student Room Group

university help!

hey,

i was wondering if any of you would have any information about this situation!
i have set my firm choice as liverpool to do psychology and english and my insurance choice as john moores to do psychology
however, if i do not get the grades to go to liverpool i've realised that id rather goto a university that offers to do psychology and english combined unlike john moores such as chester...but i havent applied to chester
on results day can you ring up and say your situation to the unis or would i HAVE to go to john moores if i didnt get into liverpool..or should i ring them up now :s ahh

thanks x
xhelen1989x
hey,

i was wondering if any of you would have any information about this situation!
i have set my firm choice as liverpool to do psychology and english and my insurance choice as john moores to do psychology
however, if i do not get the grades to go to liverpool i've realised that id rather goto a university that offers to do psychology and english combined unlike john moores such as chester...but i havent applied to chester
on results day can you ring up and say your situation to the unis or would i HAVE to go to john moores if i didnt get into liverpool..or should i ring them up now :s ahh

thanks x

Firstly check if there are universities which offer 'psychology and english combined' in Extra. Do this by going onto the UCAS website, search 2007 courses, enter the search fields and filter out Extra courses. This will display all the relevant courses which haven't yet filled and are likely to be in clearing (clearing means on or after results day if you don't have a place then you can apply to universities which haven't filled and are participating in clearing, of course, having the right grades will help).

Secondly, if you're sure you don't want to go to John Moores, then you're better off notifying the university now (rather than on results day). Ask them for a release. So if you've done this and you fail to meet your Liverpool choice, you will automatically be entered into clearing, which means you skip the inefficient process of getting a release and thus you can apply for clearing courses straight away.
No, just because it's showing as in Extra now DOES NOT mean it's likely to enter Clearing. UCAS could just not have removed it, the uni might not have notified for it's removal, they may want very specific people to apply...

All it showing in Extra now means is that it would be possible to apply through UCAS Extra for that course.
Fair enough. I was just trying to point out what she could expect to see in clearing since she obviously doesn't want to go to John Moores and wants to do Psychology and English combined. Some in Extra may not be in clearing, some which weren't in Extra may be in clearing. She should look at last year's clearing list and also phone up potential universities and ask if they expect to go into clearing based on the applicant replies.

Edit: Well Southampton were happy enough to discuss with me whether a course would be in this year's clearing, must be just Southampton then...
If you phone up potential unis now, they either won't discuss it with you, will take details and tell you to call back whilst disclosing nothing, or simply won't answer.
Reply 5
I've had a similar problem to you recently. I did have Liverpool down as my firm and John Moores as my insurance for history. Like you I realised John Moores wasn't for me and i'd rather try for somewhere like Chester. So anyway what I did was phone John Moores and asked to be released which they had no problem with.

If you do the same thing i'm sure they would release you too, what you do next is up to you, you can either contact Chester and ask if they would consider offering you a place as your insurance choice or you can wait and take your chances in clearing. I personally have chosen to wait for results day and to see what comes up through clearing if I don't get the results I need for Liverpool. I hope this helps you.
Reply 6
thanks everyone :]

thejester
I've had a similar problem to you recently. I did have Liverpool down as my firm and John Moores as my insurance for history. Like you I realised John Moores wasn't for me and i'd rather try for somewhere like Chester. So anyway what I did was phone John Moores and asked to be released which they had no problem with.

If you do the same thing i'm sure they would release you too, what you do next is up to you, you can either contact Chester and ask if they would consider offering you a place as your insurance choice or you can wait and take your chances in clearing. I personally have chosen to wait for results day and to see what comes up through clearing if I don't get the results I need for Liverpool. I hope this helps you.

so i could ring up chester and ask them even though i've not applied there?

x
Reply 7
I would say yes, give Chester a call. I'm not saying for definate that they will give you an insurance offer but it really can't hurt to try. Whether they agree to it at this stage will depend on a number of things, not least whether or not they have any places left on your course of choice, your predicted grades, reference etc, etc. If all else fails there is always clearing.

Latest

Trending

Trending