Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accused of hitting parked car and driving off...

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I received a notification from my insurance company telling me that somebody has alleged that I hit their parked car five days ago causing damage, and that I left the scene without leaving my insurance details or notifying the police. The driver allegedly was not in the car at the time and did not personally witness it themselves. However, they say they have a witness (apparently a security guard working close by witnessed it) who also says I caused damage to the car.

I'm in genuine shock as I do not recall hitting anybody's car, nor do I have any damage to my vehicle. When I asked my insurance company for more details about the alleged incident, they have told me that the investigations are in the early stages and cannot provide me with more details due to data protection reasons.

The only thing confusing me is the witness, who says it definitely happened. While I do recall driving in the area where the incident happened - I am sure that I did not touch this persons vehicle, let alone damage it. But surely if an independent witness says that they seen the incident, they will side with the other driver? I'm a young driver and any claim against me is likely to make my insurance costs shoot up.

I have also been told that the police has been notified, but since the incident only happened days ago I am yet to receive any correspondence from the police.

Basically, what my question is, will the insurance companies in question, just side with the other driver because they have an independent witness who says they seen me do this, even if I don't have damage to my car? Also, what is the role of the police in this situation?

Any advice is appreciated.

Have a chat with a solicitor about it if the police pursues it. The police and the insurance company will need evidence that your car damaged the other one.

I don't think a single witness will suffice if there is no physical or CCTV evidence to support it.

It doesn't help you much now, but get a dashcam! Then you'd have proof that at that time and in that place you didn't hit the vehicle they say you did.

Other than that you can only wait and see how it plays out really, and lawyer up if you need to!

Unlikely that one single witness is enough. They would need solid evidence such as CCTV or Dashcam footage or w.e

Just one question - are you absolutely sure it's not a scam?

The "We're calling about the accident you had" game is a pretty common one. It's pretty tricky to crash a car and not notice.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.