Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does "you normally live in England" mean? For postgraduate loans.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    The gov.uk page says I must normally live in England and must have been resident in the UK for three years to qualify for a postgraduate loan. I don't normally live in England, but it could be arranged that I live in England at the time of application if it would make me eligible.

    I am English by birth and have lived there for about half my life, but have been living in Wales for the past ten years or so. It's a bit disheartening that I live literally 2.5 miles on the wrong side of the border, and because of that I might not be able to take advantage of the new loans. There's a little hill in the way, so apparently social mobility doesn't apply to me :/.

    I appreciate that the full details of these loans have not yet been released, but if someone could point me to something that gives more explicit detail on the eligibility criteria, I'd be grateful.

    Thanks very much.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.