Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help with fitness and diet please

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

This question is quite general and i'm not sure I really have a specific question..

I need fitness / diet help. I do workout but it just seems like bits here and there, nothing regular.

I'm a member of a gym and will be for the next 5 weeks (until I go back home for the summer.) When I go I usually do the weight machines. I do some cardio.. maybe about 10 minutes high intensity, I find I prefer the rowing machine. I know free weights are better but I feel a bit intimidated. There's also classes on which I have been to occasionally.

I do go climbing sometimes, but when I do I find I need at least 3 days to recover, as it always shatters me out. I really love it though and aim to go at least once a week.

I also play football, but it's off season at the moment.

My main aim at the moment is to get leaner, better fitness for football (but i'm sure that will come with getting leaner or vice versa).

I often get confused with diet as well, such as the percentage of macros I need etc etc. I use my fitness pal but find it hard to measure/record some things.

I'm a girl, about 5'4 160lbs

For getting fitter for football, improving your running, by improving your time over distance with stuff like hill climbs and some interval training is ideal. That probably is going to have the biggest carryover to your football. Rowing and cycling will be lower impact and also aid in this.

Lifting properly takes dedication and realistically 5 weeks isn't long enough to see any difference really.

Macros wise, aim to eat like an adult, don't snack and try to eat healthly, reducing the amount of junk and highly processed foods in your diet. Protein wise somewhere around 1-1.5g/kg/bw. Carbs and fat will sort themselves out if you eat sensibly with a decent amount of veg including greenery.

Hope that helps

If climbing makes you sore for three days it is amazing, I mean if it hurts it means it works so I would consider doing more of that climbing. By the way since you are a girl and I do not think you want to gain a lot of muscles you may wanna look for some exercises that do not involve weight lifting and you can actually do them at home. There are plenty of youtube videos out there so you can always find something for you (exercises without weights) and that is actually what I do even tho I am a guy. It is hard to gain any mass when you are working with your own weight only, however it makes you incredibly fit as I doubt I have even as much as 8 per cent of body fat.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.