The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I spent some time in Hong Kong last year. I don't know if you're familiar with the place (from your writing style I'd say you're from HK yourself?), but it's a wonderful but terribly expensive place in which to live. They pay for their apartments by the square foot because land is so expensive. I'm also pretty sure you won't get any help off the UK government to study there.

Besides the monetary costs, the education system in Hong Kong is uber-competitive. The Polytechnic University is renowned as a very good university for science and technology subjects, built on a very modern campus in the hills. It's a desirable place to study, so places for design are going to be very competitive. Private tutors earn millions upon millions of $HK and have adverts on billboards across the city, and the pressure on students is so great that they have a worryingly high suicide rate for students jumping off high rise buildings. Also the UK A Levels are held in low esteem in Hong Kong. They use our A Level exam papers as practice for GCSE and AS, so even if you get all A's here, you're not guaranteed a place.

The decision's up to you, but based on my experience I wouldn't advise applying there. Maybe you or others have a different experience.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
grammar_king
I spent some time in Hong Kong last year. I don't know if you're familiar with the place (from your writing style I'd say you're from HK yourself?), but it's a wonderful but terribly expensive place in which to live. They pay for their apartments by the square foot because land is so expensive. I'm also pretty sure you won't get any help off the UK government to study there.

Why?
moomin1019
Hi everyone,

I'm studying in UK in the moment, but i'm interested in studying Design, however, just cannot decide between Edinburg, Glasgow and Polytechnic University in Hong Kong!

Please if there's any information about the universities, please tell me!

[email protected]

MSN: [email protected]

Currently I'm studying year 12! so I've got the summer to research, and I've all the other questions to ask about them!

please advice

Lost Teresa ><

Very typical of the HK dialect.

Latest

Trending

Trending