The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
When will the rain stop? :'(
Reply 61
Its nearing the end of June and we havent even got near enough the summer temperatures :frown:
Reply 62
gooner88
Its nearing the end of June and we havent even got near enough the summer temperatures :frown:

Yep. It's been the coldest June I can remember.:mad:
Reply 63
omg ... further to the pic I posted before, Friday and Saturday now have rain too :mad:
Aky786UK
Gah, Im sure everyone in the UK have been on the receiving end of the brutal rain today and recently.

This downfall today couldnt have happened on a worse day for me, it was my first day at a new job. I wasnt sure whether to go when I heard the rain in the morning, but I went anyways. Added to the fact I got late, I also drenched!

I finished early, but it meant no buses/trains and was drenched again, and waiting for any bus to take me home. It wasnt happening, but LUCKILY, a bus comes that says its going to take me a different route but may get me back to city centre, I took the risk. Anyways, took me about an hour and a half to get back to city centre. On the journey, saw tons of flooding....

It was absolutely mental yesterday. The river Don burst it's banks. The town centre (Rotherham) was in chaos, flooding everywhere, roads/roundabouts/cars underwater (I saw a police car completely submerged), people were being evacuated from buildings that might collapse, with helicopters and stuff. 2 people were killed in Sheffield, and one in Hull (as far as I know, no more were).
It just started off with my driving test being cancelled, but as we were driving home, I realised how bad things were getting. Some of the houses in the villiage got flooded out (but not mine, I live higher up:biggrin: ), and we had 3 blackouts (I should really go and check the freezer stuff, power was off for a total of about 10 hours I think).

This is the second time we've been flooded in like two weeks. No more rain please!!
Reply 65
I've never seen flooding like this purely down to rain. :eek: The videos I've seen on the BBC are eye-opening.

Does this flooding happen on a regular basis here in the UK?
Brady B

Does this flooding happen on a regular basis here in the UK?

Nah, I'd never seen a flood in real life, until the last couple of weeks. I don't reckon it could ever get as bad as this again here, I mean the river came (unless the dam at ulley actually does burst).

LOL, have you seen the pictures of hillsborough footy ground that were taken in the aftermath? looks like a swimming pool. I don't know how to post pictures but I'll have a go.
Reply 67
Fishfinger Sandwich
Nah, I'd never seen a flood in real life, until the last couple of weeks. I don't reckon it could ever get as bad as this again here, I mean the river came (unless the dam at ulley actually does burst).

LOL, have you seen the pictures of hillsborough footy ground that were taken in the aftermath? looks like a swimming pool. I don't know how to post pictures but I'll have a go.

Thanks for the information, wasn't sure if this was a regular UK occurrence as I'd never heard of it before I'd traveled here.

Your photograph works fine and is quite worrying, it does indeed look more like a (dirty, ill-used) swimming pool.
I'm in Sheffield, it's seriously dangerous here.

I battled to work just before police started turning people back. We had to close, and I eventually got home 4hours later. (20 min journey) Lost control of my car on a roundabout, aquaplaned on surface water, spun 180 degrees, luckily traffic so slow that there was no accident and I didn't even hit the kerbs.

A friend of mine is STILL in her office in Brightside. She's spent the night watching the RAF lifting people off the collapsing roof of the building next to her - she's low priority as in a stable building with nurses on site.

There are groups of horses stranded in Rotherham and nobody can get there to help them.

The Ulley dam is looking like bursting - it's been frantically drained as I type but the wall is cracking - which would take out a major power station (many places already have no power) plus would hit the supports of the raised sections of the M1, hence why the M1 is closed. It's just chaos.

Meadowhall is closed - cars floating around it's lower car park, and water up to the 3rd or 4th step of the escalators inside the ground floor.

I literally cannot leave my house because you can't get anywhere. Everywhere is closed.
ellewoods
I'm in Sheffield, it's seriously dangerous here.

I battled to work just before police started turning people back. We had to close, and I eventually got home 4hours later. (20 min journey) Lost control of my car on a roundabout, aquaplaned on surface water, spun 180 degrees, luckily traffic so slow that there was no accident and I didn't even hit the kerbs.

A friend of mine is STILL in her office in Brightside. She's spent the night watching the RAF lifting people off the collapsing roof of the building next to her - she's low priority as in a stable building with nurses on site.

There are groups of horses stranded in Rotherham and nobody can get there to help them.

The Ulley dam is looking like bursting - it's been frantically drained as I type but the wall is cracking - which would take out a major power station (many places already have no power) plus would hit the supports of the raised sections of the M1, hence why the M1 is closed. It's just chaos.

Meadowhall is closed - cars floating around it's lower car park, and water up to the 3rd or 4th step of the escalators inside the ground floor.

I literally cannot leave my house because you can't get anywhere. Everywhere is closed.

I didn't know it was still that bad. I was in Rotherham centre yesterday and saw the madness, but I assumed it would all be fairly ok by now. My brother just went to college, lol.
I heard about the horses :frown: and people are really scared about the dam breaking. They evacuated all the locals there right?
I wonder if my mum's office building is alright, people were evacuated from near there in the first flooding episode, and this one is far worse!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the power goes down in floods?
we kept having blackouts yesterday, and then had no power all night. We were arguing about the exact causes of it, but couldn't agree on what it might be.

Just found this picture of Tesco:
Fishfinger Sandwich
I didn't know it was still that bad. I was in Rotherham centre yesterday and saw the madness, but I assumed it would all be fairly ok by now. My brother just went to college, lol.
I heard about the horses :frown: and people are really scared about the dam breaking. They evacuated all the locals there right?
I wonder if my mum's office building is alright, people were evacuated from near there in the first flooding episode, and this one is far worse!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why the power goes down in floods?
we kept having blackouts yesterday, and then had no power all night. We were arguing about the exact causes of it, but couldn't agree on what it might be

I don't know exactly why the power goes I'm afraid, I'm no engineer! :smile:

It is still that bad. The problem is, althought it's pretty much stopped raining, the water is running off the Peaks down into Sheffield and so the river water is still coming...

Yeah they've evacuated 250 houses near Ulley although it's unlikely they would be affected if the dam goes, it's mainly a precaution. It would be the power station and the M1 that would get the brunt of it. (and so then my work... I work just other side of the M1 next to Meadowhall...)

Your brother's college might be ok, although a huge amount of schools and colleges are closed - there is a full list on the BBC website under South Yorkshire.

The consequences of this incident are going to be huge for Sheffield and Rotherham, plus Hull and other areas badly affected :frown:
ellewoods

The consequences of this incident are going to be huge for Sheffield and Rotherham, plus Hull and other areas badly affected :frown:

Yeah, its awful.:frown:
I've just been talking to some mates, and it seems that everything's still messed up. I wonder if the bus station is still flooded...

EDIT:
oops.
My bro just came back whilst I was tying this. He'd been waiting for a bus for and hour and a bit and none came. So yeah, I'm guessing its all still flooded.
Someone said it's going to rain even more. I hope they're wrong, the weather man said it was all over now. If it rains more, more people could die, we seriously can't handle any more.:frown:
Whereabouts in Rotherham do you come from, because most of my friends in Switnon have had flooding, but none of them have had to evacuate.
Yeah, it's really bad here. I live in Rotherham where all the floods are on the telly.
We have been without power since around 2 o clock yesterday and thousands have houses have been evacuated.
Luckily it has stopped raining now, so it hopefully wont get any worse.

On the bright side, college was cancelled yesterday, today and tomorrow because the roads here are only to be used in a case of emergency.
blonde_barnsley_boy
Whereabouts in Rotherham do you come from, because most of my friends in Switnon have had flooding, but none of them have had to evacuate.

I live in a village in Rotherham (thorpe), we wern't evacuated (not from our homes anyway, we were sent away from town and came back here because we live higher up) Only a few houses in my villiage got flooded to any serious degree, but other places nearby were/are underwater and are completely ruined.
The evacuations were/are happening in other places (mostly near the dam because they are worried it might break-thats why the M1 is closed).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6239828.stm
Livefortonight
Yeah, it's really bad here. I live in Rotherham where all the floods are on the telly.
We have been without power since around 2 o clock yesterday and thousands have houses have been evacuated.
Luckily it has stopped raining now, so it hopefully wont get any worse.

On the bright side, college was cancelled yesterday, today and tomorrow because the roads here are only to be used in a case of emergency.

Yeah, it's strange watching places you go to everyday get completely wrecked. I was worried about my mum, who works in the town centre in an office block, but she phoned and said she's been drafted as one of the social services team that register and direct evacuees at Dinnington.
When did your power come back on?
We went to bed without power and when we got up, it was back on, we had three powercuts throughout the day.
Reply 76
I live about 5 mins from Ulley and was quite surprised to see it on the news when I got up this morning!

I was meant to have an interview in Meadowhell today too, but I'm guessing that it's off. I can't get there anyway - motorway's closed and the only other way is closed because of the dam.

My sister took about 8 hours to get home from work - normally takes 10 mins. Her boyfriend also had to walk for 4 hours before he could get to sumwhere where my mum could collect him (for those who know Sheffield, he works on the Wicker and had to walk to the Prince Of Wales roundabout).

It was slightly more annoying that I had to take the dog for a walk - I came back very wet indeed.

Im hoping it's possible to get to the Plug tonight - there's our sixth form leaving party there. People who went to the Leadmill last night got free entry, free drinks and free sweets!
'Tis a bit better today. However the last couple of weeks, like most places the weather has been awful. Particularly bad in Sutton Coldfield :eek:
Not raining here at the moment - got abit of sunshine trying to break through - but it'll probably chuck down later tonight or tomorrow.
Reply 79
The weather looked quite promising this morning and then it started to rain and it still hasn't stopped. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending