The Student Room Group

Reference from an employer

Hi Everyone.

I wanted a bit of advice as im in a bit of a predicament.

I asked my manager at my current place of work to write a reference for me. She took a week to acknowledge the message and agreed to do it. So i sent the reference email to her on Monday and shes not even opened it yet. I am already aware i've left it late to apply (its for a HNC) but i feel the clock is ticking and she isnt helping the matter. I left school like 12 years ago so its going to have to be an employer

If anyone can offer me any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Nat
Original post by Natburt1985
Hi Everyone.

I asked my manager at my current place of work to write a reference for me. She took a week to acknowledge the message and agreed to do it. So i sent the reference email to her on Monday and shes not even opened it yet. I am already aware i've left it late to apply (its for a HNC) but i feel the clock is ticking and she isnt helping the matter. I left school like 12 years ago so its going to have to be an employer

Nat

There's absolutely nothing you can do other than going to talk to her about it. Be polite, upbeat, grateful and clear about the deadline. She may not know when it is. Don't rely on emailing her. Speak to her in person. Ask for an appointment.
Reply 2
Original post by Natburt1985
Hi Everyone.

Nat

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There's absolutely nothing you can do other than going to talk to her about it. Be polite, upbeat, grateful and clear about the deadline. She may not know when it is. Don't rely on emailing her. Speak to her in person. Ask for an appointment.

And if all that fails (which it probably won't) ask your HR department. Managers hate writing references...
All I can do is echo the answer here. If you need something done in a timely manner, always phone/speak face to face and never email. People tend to ignore emails/forget about them.

Likewise she may not be aware of the date, so I'm sure with some gentle reminding she'll be more than happy to comply.

Incidentally, I sometimes find it helpful if a person seems a little unreliable to specify the date is a day or two early, so that when they miss it, panic and fill it in late, you're still on time.

Quick Reply

Latest