The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Agggggghhh!

I've just finished my 1st year in Product Design but lately i have been having thoughts on my career. To be honest Product Design doesn't give me any good career prospects as it's a very hard career to get into. So I've looked at other careers i might like, Architecture is one of them and i have been offered a place on an Architecture course if i want however for the majority of my life i've wanted to join the RAF or Army air corps as an officer and hopefully go into aircrew. I have no idea what to do and i know you can't decide for me but i was wondering if you could give me some advice on ways to help me decide.

Thank you
Reply 1
I finished my degree and changed tack completely (studied History and went into the leisure industry before ending up in Recruitment). You might want to join an agency and try a few different areas, get some practical experience in areas where you can view other roles.

Also, by talking to someone who works in the roles you might aspire to: maybe contact someone at an association of architects and ask them if there is anyone who would be willing to have a chat about what they do. No better way than hearing about the job (and the career path they took) than from someone who has experienced it. RAF again has lots of people currently working in its ranks, and the good thing about the forces is that you get the chance to move around in the organisation and get excellent training (career path etc). They also have structured career counsellors within their organisational ranks. http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/ has advice and a phone number for those who are interested.

What do the people you know best say? Usually, talking this over helps... sorry I can't help more...

Latest

Trending

Trending