The Student Room Group

Changing University and Course (after second year)

Hi all,

Ive had a horrible time with my course at my current university. I failed my exams first year but managed to get into second year by passing my resits. I only carried on because it was easy to keep going. Ive just finished second year and I've failed again. Ive hated the course all year and really want to change it as well as my university.

Does anyone know what happens with student finance, will I be eligible for government funding? and also does anyone know how difficult it will be to change university? I have way above the A-level entry grades but i'm thinking they wont like the fact Ive failed 2 years at my current institute.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Original post by C2B4
Hi all,

Ive had a horrible time with my course at my current university. I failed my exams first year but managed to get into second year by passing my resits. I only carried on because it was easy to keep going. Ive just finished second year and I've failed again. Ive hated the course all year and really want to change it as well as my university.

Does anyone know what happens with student finance, will I be eligible for government funding? and also does anyone know how difficult it will be to change university? I have way above the A-level entry grades but i'm thinking they wont like the fact Ive failed 2 years at my current institute.

From a funding point of view I had a friend do this last year and he had to pay the fees and living of the first year of his new course then he got funding for the rest of it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C2B4
Hi all,

You still have 2 years of funding left, you could look into second year entry somewhere if its a similar course. But otherwise you'd need to fund a new 1st year yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
You still have 2 years of funding left, you could look into second year entry somewhere if its a similar course. But otherwise you'd need to fund a new 1st year yourself.

So I would be fully funded for transferring straight into second year of a course? Also is it best reapplying and going straight into course at the start of this academic year or would it be better to reapply through UCAS next year?
Original post by C2B4
So I would be fully funded for transferring straight into second year of a course? Also is it best reapplying and going straight into course at the start of this academic year or would it be better to reapply through UCAS next year?

Yes you should be :smile: Better to try this year I think, get calling admissions with your transcript in your hand.
Original post by C2B4

Given that you initially failed your first year and have now failed your second, I think you will find it extremely difficult to get another university to accept you into their second year.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Given that you initially failed your first year and have now failed your second, I think you will find it extremely difficult to get another university to accept you into their second year.

I'm not applying to a russell group university and I have above the entry requirements for the course. I think they will definitely consider my application as I have reasons as to why I've not done well at my current university. I don't really have another plan so I can only hope really
Original post by C2B4
I'm not applying to a russell group university and I have above the entry requirements for the course. I think they will definitely consider my application as I have reasons as to why I've not done well at my current university. I don't really have another plan so I can only hope really

What reasons? All we know is that you have had a horrible time and hate the course.

Have you considered a year off before plunging in again straight away?

Quick Reply

Latest