The Student Room Group

AQA Biology B2 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

hey guys, for the 6 marker about setting up the apparatus I had an ****ing retardid moment and completely disregarded water during my answer, will i get any marks for talking about controlling just carbon dioxide and temperature amounts, using a light meter to measure light intensity and using a ruler to measure growth?
The gametes question is incorrect because it's about hair colour still so the possible gametes are B or b for both mother and father I swear
Original post by Edgerulezs
Sameee 😂😂 we're either smart for doing that or overthought things 😭

Omd! I did exactly the same thing and now looking at the unofficial markscheme it looks like I've majorly overthought it
Original post by Jake_m_h_1
For the area of the quadrat question I put 2.5 meters even no one else seemed to put that.
I did this because if the quadrat was 1 meter by 1 meter I'd be 1m squared right?

So 4 0.25m quadrats would make 1 meter squared

So 10 quadrats much make 2.5 meters squared.

My teacher agreed with me but no one else seems too of gotten that, any thoughts?

A major mathematical innaccuracy there:

Your calculation of area is all wrong: there may be 4 0.25m long quadrats across but there are also 4 downwards, therefore there are 16 of these quadrats in 1m^2. You need to enlarge by the area scale factor if working through it like that not the length one.

Not that 16 is right either though as there were only 10 quadrats available so you could not have had a total of 1m^2 anyway. You could use proportion to get you there from that, dividing by 1.6 to reach a total of 0.625m^2 of area made up by the 10 quadrats.

Presumably it was not your maths teacher who agreed with you then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 324
Does anyone remeber the first question exactly? Because i only put 'without oxygen'
Original post by Naco88
↑↑↑ In the poll above, an answer like '> 30%' would mean between '30%' and '40%' ↑↑↑

Remember a question? Post your answers below.
Follow me and I will try and post the answers for the Chemistry and Physics exams on Wednesday and Friday.

........................................................................................................................................................................
This mark scheme is not official and was made purely from what we saw in the exam.

AQA B2 Higher - Unofficial Mark Scheme (Updated Regularly) (Should have the last few questions of foundation)

1. Athlete Question - UPDATED
a)
i) Anaerobic means respiration without oxygen
ii) The athlete was running for 1.5 minutes.
b) How do you know it was anaerobic respiration?
The athlete produced lactic acid
c) How does the flow of the blood help the athlete's muscles?
Removes lactic acid, build up. Causes less fatigue. Supplies oxygen.
2. Pond Weed Question

Put the pond weed in the beaker,

Fill the beaker with water.

Move the light close to the pond weed,

Count bubbles in one minute, / Measure oxygen produced

Note down your results,

Repeat experiment but move the light closer/further away from the pond weed each time.

To make it a fair test, use same amount of water, use same length/volume of pond weed, time it for the same length.

Question 2 notes: The answer could be any experiment to test how the amount of light intensity affects photosynthesis. The question stated that you did not have to write about the equipment pictured and it was just an example.
(6 marks)
3. Enzymes question
Circle Cytoplasm. (1 mark)
What is an enzyme? (2 marks)
An enzyme is a substance produced by a living organism which acts as a catalyst to bring about a specific biochemical reaction.

Muscular tissue contracts and churns food in the stomach

Epithelial tissue covers the stomach

Glandular tissue secretes hormones and enzymes

Rest of question is incomplete
4. Plantains in the field
To improve their investigation: Use random sampling, take more samples.
With the mean average question, people seemed to be getting either 10,100 or 160,000. Different answers I know but we are not sure which is right.

5. Polydactyly Question - UPDATED
Stem cells are undifferentiated stem cells that can potentially become any cell.
This question had a lot of parts to do with alleles but it was so long no one can really remember it.

I am not sure if the following answer was on the polydactyly question but here are our redicted answers:
Parents genotype: Genotype: mother: Bb father :Bb
Parents phenotype: Both have brown hair
Gametes: Mother: XY Father: XX
Offspring genotype: Brother: bb Sister: Bb
Offspring phenotype: Brother - red hair sister - brown hair

How do you know the man is heterogeneous?
He has B & b alleles.
6. Removing bacteria from milk with catalase.

Advantages: Catalysts can be reused

Disadvantages: Enzymes can denature, Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't kill all the bacteria, It could mix with/stay in the milk which could be harmful to humans.

These weren't the only ones but they're the ones I have seen posted the most.

7. Meiosis & Mitosis
The sperm cells were produced in the testes by Meiosis. The embryo divided by Mitosis.
For the question about the size of each cell:

8. Foxes
How can scientists prove the foxes originated from the same species?
The scientists could breed 2 of the foxes and see if they produce fertile offspring. (Offspring which can reproduce)
How are the foxes different species?
Foxes, Geographical isolation. Adapted differently. Mutation, So unable to breed. Different species.
Why were the foxes on the 3 islands varied but still the same species?
The islands have similar conditions so the two species adapted similarly and were so similar they could still interbreed so were still of the same species.
I am not sure what question these answers were for)
Know more answers? Please message me on twitter @NacoRBLX, thanks!

Note: The questions may not be in the right order.

This is a mix of my answers and those of the community but they are not guaranteed to be correct.

........................................................................................................................................................................
Grade Boundary Predictions

These are completely my predictions, we have decided that it was a fairly
easy paper so our boundaries are fairly high.

A* - 46 marks

A - 37 marks

B - 31 marks

C - 24 marks

Thanks for using my mark scheme : )

For the six marker i had a major F****d up brain moment and did not mention measuring bubbles given off once.:frown: i talked about moving lamp further and nearer at given distances (50cm,40cm..etc) and measuring light intensity at these distances. I also talked about keeping temp and co2 levels same. What mark do you think ill get on that question?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zxe
Does anyone remeber the first question exactly? Because i only put 'without oxygen'

What is anerobic respiration ?
Original post by Zxe

It was "what is meant by the term anaerobic?" (2marks)
Reply 328
Original post by nisha.sri
What is anerobic respiration ?

Would i get no mark if i just said 'withoutoxygen"
Reply 329
Original post by DrDunphy
For the six marker i had a major brain dead moment and did not mention measuring bubbles given off once.:frown: i talked about moving lamp further and nearer at given distances (50cm,40cm..etc) and measuring light intensity at these distances. I also talked about keeping temp and co2 levels same. What mark do you think ill get on that question?!

As long as you mentioned how you used the equipment and moving them lamp you should do fine! Not mentioning measuring how much oxygen was produced will only loose you 1 mark or maybe even none if you talked a lot about other things.
Original post by z1820
Didn't the question after that ask for the offspring's genotype? For the genotype I put heterozygous and the gametes I put Bb - is that all wrong 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, the genotype is the alleles so the Bb and Bb.
And the gamete question is the 4 offsprings genotype. Sorry to say i doubt you'll get the mark, but as a lot of people got it wrong. You may get 1 mark. :smile:
Pondweed/Rate of Photosynthesis Question
To gain maximum marks, you will have said something along the lines of:

Fill beaker with water, place the ruler at the base and place the pondweed inside. Choose three intervals along the ruler to place the light at. To test the rate of photosynthesis at each interval, you would turn on the light and see how many bubbles the pondweed produced for a minute. You'd repeat it three times, plotting the results from each intervals in a table and taking the mean average from the three results. This would ensure it was fair.

I got lucky because we happened to do this experiment earlier in the year lol.
Link to this experiment on bitesize: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/zq239j6/revision/5
Original post by Naco88
As long as you mentioned how you used the equipment and moving them lamp you should do fine! Not mentioning measuring how much oxygen was produced will only loose you 1 mark or maybe even none if you talked a lot about other things.

What if my dependent variable was the final length of the pondweed after 1 week rather the bubbles given off? 😭
size of fertilised egg cell? 6.6? because of 3.3 from egg and 3.3 from sperm?
For the six marker i had a major F****d up brain moment and did not mention measuring bubbles given off once.:frown: i talked about moving lamp further and nearer at given distances (50cm,40cm..etc) and measuring light intensity at these distances. I also talked about keeping temp and co2 levels same. What mark do you think ill get on that question?!

Same as me :frown:
I said measure growth of leaves (length)
Original post by afghan-superman
Lol, the genotype is the alleles so the Bb and Bb.
And the gamete question is the 4 offsprings genotype. Sorry to say i doubt you'll get the mark, but as a lot of people got it wrong. You may get 1 mark. :smile:

Could you please lay it out how it should have been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by afghan-superman
Yeah definitely, it's still in context.

Okay good thank you, for the gametes like genotype and phenotype bit ( or whatever the bottom 2 lines were) what were the answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys, for the 6 marker about setting up the apparatus I had an idiot moment and completely disregarded water during my answer, will i get any marks for talking about controlling just carbon dioxide and temperature amounts, using a light meter to measure light intensity and using a ruler to measure growth?
What about the stem cells question?
Omd! I did exactly the same thing and now looking at the unofficial markscheme it looks like I've majorly overthought it

I dunno... I still have a lil faith cause surely if he stops, his blood flow isn't just gunna suddenly drop... It'll stay the same for a while then drop...?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending