The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Southwestern
Except if you looked above at the...sucrose, I think it was, you would see that the fructose answer for pH value x was always the x value for the sucrose divided by 13 to 13.2 (I believe). Using this - which uses trends and acknowledges the proportional relation of the sucrose value to the fructose value - the answer would have been 17.

The thing is that question asked you to estimate thus not calculate, to calculate yes that would make it 42 but it asked you to estimate so your answer should not be on the dot.
Original post by bue34 c
The thing is that question asked you to estimate thus not calculate, to calculate yes that would make it 42 but it asked you to estimate so your answer should not be on the dot.

Oh, I see your point, especially for one mark!

My assumption when it said 'estimate' rather than 'calculate' was because there is a specific answer that it assumed nobody would be able to get - but that, through calculations, a good estimate could be made (like we would do for elemental properties in C2 using the periodic table).

In hindsight, now you've pointed that out, I think you're right :smile:
Oh, I see your point, especially for one mark!

My assumption when it said 'estimate' rather than 'calculate' was because there is a specific answer that it assumed nobody would be able to get - but that, through calculations, a good estimate could be made (like we would do for elemental properties in C2 using the periodic table).

In hindsight, now you've pointed that out, I think you're right :smile:

Yh because it wouldn't make sense for all of that to be on a 1 mark answer anyway we were all thinking to deep on it, i assume there will be a range of answers for the questions, personally i think you got a mark on that question because your answer was similar to mine
Does it matter if I spelt peristylsis wrong?
Hey, what are the marks for each question? I want to calculate my grade. Thanks
Original post by Ayshavalli

As long as it sounds phonetically so you're probably alright.
Original post by Ayshavalli

Not too sure but on previous years mark schemes they include error in spelling for these kinds of questions in the accepted answers
For the fossil question 3 marker, wasnt it about the fossil record, as there is less evidence
Except if you looked above at the...sucrose, I think it was, you would see that the fructose answer for pH value x was always the x value for the sucrose divided by 13 to 13.2 (I believe). Using this - which uses trends and acknowledges the proportional relation of the sucrose value to the fructose value - the answer would have been 17.

[EDIT: read ahead; I think you may be right now based on question wording. Now I think of it though, how can you notice a trend from just two values? I think the question inherently asked us to see the relationship between fructose and sucrose, not the pH trend of fructose alone.]

I'm confused by the edit bit. Do you think I'm right or your right because you say at the start you think I'm right then you seem to describe as if I was wrong?
Original post by ca.hardy
I'm confused by the edit bit. Do you think I'm right or your right because you say at the start you think I'm right then you seem to describe as if I was wrong?

I really don't know anymore xD
I really don't know anymore xD

Haha xD nevermind ignore my comment as I read on in the thread and saw that you thought it was 'much more fitting'.
Original post by htkta
It asked you to estimate the next result and basically the numbers in the second half all went up by 7 so you had to add 7 to 35

Personally, I don't think that's right because the pH's were different and judging the difference of only two numbers doesn't seem like there's enough proof it will go up in 7s. You could be right though so not sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Akramrahman
For the fossil question 3 marker, wasnt it about the fossil record, as there is less evidence

Thats what I thought😂😂 judging by the other answers looks like we got it wrong! I wrote about decays etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Thats what I thought😂😂 judging by the other answers looks like we got it wrong! I wrote about decays etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you never no is its right, but oh well. P.s the things everyone else wrote sounds to me like B1 and not B2 😂
Original post by ca.hardy
I got 42 also. I'm pretty certain that's right.

Yeah - I don't really know where people are getting 17 from.
Original post by Akramrahman
you never no is its right, but oh well. P.s the things everyone else wrote sounds to me like B1 and not B2 😂

Hahaha yh that's what I was thinking. Cos I went through everything I know about b2 and nothing about natural selection etc. I wrote, due to not all fossils being found it provides evidence that.... And then I wrote, soft material decay completely etc and then I wrote some fossils are destroyed and linked it to the question. I thought this was right but I am not sure lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok so what did you guys think about the paper? was it hard? was it alright? was it easy?
Original post by caitlinford3
Yeah - I don't really know where people are getting 17 from.

The values for the table go from 300 -> 400 -> 200. This shows that the Enzyme activity is reduced below or above the optimum temperature/pH.
This applies to all enzymes, hence most of their graphs have an upside down U-shape.
So the value for the sucrose/lactose (can't remember which) will not increase as the values go from 28 -> 35 ->
It will rather decrease to around (28 -7) = 21. It could be from around 17-21, hence it is that is the correct answer.
Original post by keepyourapology
How did that exam go? Will be posting a mark scheme based on answers soon!

Special thanks to niichola!

Spoiler

I think question 1 part b was just 'mitochondria' for one mark :smile:
Original post by keepyourapology
17, cuz it should have been less than the other two. I put 20 but Idk who's right.

I got 17!! lots of people in my school did too; I divided the top results by the corresponding bottom results and they all came out with 13.1 and 13 so i just divided the 3rd answer to find out the unknown by 13 and it came out as 17.

Quick Reply

Latest