Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Workers Rights should be abolished or not?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Link all the Government garbage you want.. it is a fact the WAGES in many businesses are the major costs.. thus directly effect prices.

Some Workers Rights can cripple business.. because they protect lazy workers, workers who are often late or absent (for longer periods of time) until the "correct steps" are taken often months down the line and money has been lost! So don't tell me that Workers Rights are good for everybody or that they are perfect. Of course changes need to be made..

(Original post by Quantex)
    Of course workers rights are required. Or should we bring back The Master and Servant Act, where workers are imprisoned for minor breaches of contract?

As for the minimum wage, I'm yet to see much to say that it is damaging or has significant negative effects on the economy. So I regard it as a good thing. To quote the government's Low Pay Commission:

When it comes to workers rights.. I understand that certain financial and health protection is required in ANY financial system. We need breaks, holidays and financial payment for work protection, to name a few.

The unfair dismissal cases that workers are entitled to make, for being sacked, in my opinion, should be reviewed. Due to the timescale it takes for employers to gather enough evidence or give required warnings, to warrant a "fair" dismissal. At the end of the day, if a person OWNS a business, then it is their business to do how they wish, with regards to employers behaviour or timekeeping. This is not the case and employers can be losing business due to workers not doing their job to a required standard. How is that fair? Or a worker who can simply go to the doctors with a "bad back" and be given a "Fit for work note" for months on end.. employers are then left short or need to replace the worker with supply staff or bank staff for the period! This therefor costs the Employer more time and money!

So what can be done in regards to keeping it fair for all?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.