The Student Room Group

Aqa biology/further additional/ b3 unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This might be because some did AQA GCSE Biology Unit 3 and others did AQA GCSE Further Additional Science Unit 1 (Biology).
Original post by Wisbey
This might be because some did AQA GCSE Biology Unit 3 and others did AQA GCSE Further Additional Science Unit 1 (Biology).

yep that exactly why, i just looked up and there is 2 specs that are really similar but still have some different questions
Reply 42
Original post by mediaya
yep that exactly why, i just looked up and there is 2 specs that are really similar but still have some different questions

That should put peoples mind at ease! How did you do? I think I got an A on each.
Original post by mediaya

Which one are we doing? Also i made a thread on unoffical mark scheme for our spec. check it out i used some of ya answers :smile: so thx
Original post by Wisbey
That should put peoples mind at ease! How did you do? I think I got an A on each.

i think a got an A*.btw, i only did one exam
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Federerr
Which one are we doing? Also i made a thread on unoffical mark scheme for our spec. check it out i used some of ya answers :smile: so thx

ur welcome, whats the link please?
Reply 46
Original post by mediaya
i think a got an A*

Great. I made some silly mistakes :frown:!
Reply 48
There was not questions about the blood the only thing,
Unless you are talking about the meotisi question which you were supposed to mentioned about the size. Which was in biology paper 2
The first question was diffiusion and active transport (it was not about osomsis as osomsis is the movement of WATER). The question spoke of sodium ions and patissum ion there was no mention of water until the second part
For the sic marker was it how to reapond when the body temperature decreases?
Reply 50
1. Osmosis
diffusion and active transport (think sodium potassium pumps).

A gained mass because the dilute sugar solution moved through the partially permeable membrane to the more concentrated sugar solution by osmosis.

B's mass changed the least because the difference of the sugar solutions' concentration in the bag and in the tube was the smallest. So less osmosis of sugar solution. By the way, the movement of molecules doesn't stop their concentration just reaches equilibrium.

3. The QWC about conductive tissues in plants.
Water absorbed by the roots (by osmosis). This creates negative pressure in the xylem which causes the water to move up the xylem. Water transported around plant upwards. Water evaporates from the leaves (mostly through the stomata).

Ions, glucose and other molecules are transported via phloem. Glucose made in cells where most of the photosynthesis takes place is transported to respiring tissue and growing cells. The phloem also transports glucose downwards where it can be stored as starch for storage as starch us an osmotically inert substance.

Deforestation
The forest covering the land has reduced - mostly around the outer part of the island.

Effects of deforestation on ecosystems: habitat destruction, reduced biodiversity

The other six marker about thermoregulation
Temperature sensitive receptors in the hypothalamus detect a change in core body temperature when blood passes through it. This causes vessels supplying skin capillaries to constrict. Blood flows less nearer to the surface of the skin. This reduces heat loss by radiation. Then to be safe I wrote about shivering - involuntary muscle contractions to generate heat energy from respiration and about hair on skin surface standing to trap an insulating layer of air around the body.

Blood vessels
The veins have valves to prevent the backflow of blood. The arteries have a smaller diameter than the veins.

There is more glucose in the arteries than in the veins and there is more oxygen in the arteries than in the veins.

8. Stem cell burgers
Likely to reduce global warming because: less carbon dioxide produced from livetsock. Less/no methane produced from the gases released by livestock.

Advantages: less land intensive and quicker.

9. Mycoprotein production
Oxygen, glucose and the fungus Fusarium are added to the fermenter/generator thing (?) to allow the fungus to aerobically respire. The fungus reproduces (by binary fission) which produces mycoprotein. The waste gas is carbon dioxide.

This is what I wrote down anyway and it's what I can remember
Reply 51
There are two papers . One is the Further Additional Biology paper whch had a six marker on components of blood. That's the paper I did. Others did the Biology unit 3 paper which I'm guessing had a 6 mark question on transport system around the plant. The papers are usually very similar with only a few questions that are different
Reply 52
[QUOTE="x_rizma_x;65638815"]
Original post by mediaya
the easiest biology exam i have ever done!!!!!!
1) osmosis, active transport

I thought osmosis was only the movement of water not sodium ions🤔Idk maybe im wrong but i wrote diffusion and active transport for that first question

nearly all of my friends did too !
Original post by mediaya

I thought osmosis was only the movement of water not sodium ions🤔Idk maybe im wrong but i wrote diffusion and active transport for that first question

You're right it is diffusion. Osmosis only applies to water
Original post by user2567
Posted from TSR Mobile
your answer to first the six marker is wrong it was about ions water and sugar no the blood

Yeah you had to write about Xylem and Phloem and how they transport substances around the body
Yeah the answer was diffusion and active transport
[QUOTE="HamzahPatel;65641367"]
Original post by x_rizma_x

You're right it is diffusion. Osmosis only applies to water
Original post by mediaya
A has gained in weight because there was a higher concentration of water(dilute) outside the bag so water entered the bag by osmosis.
B is the one that changes the less because the concentration of sugar outside the bag(4.2) is nearly the same as the concentration of sugar inside the bad(5) so only small amount of water will enter the bag by osmosis and the net movement will then stop.

the six marker was okay I put:
A was red blood cells, they have no nucleus and carry haemoglobin which combines with oxygen to make oxyheamogobin, they carry oxygen from the lung to the cells in the body and then oxyheamoglobin break into oxygen and heamoglobin for exchange
B was white blood cell, produce antibodies to kill pathogens, and antitoxin to neutralise the toxin produced by harmful microorganisms
C was platelets, they help the blood to clot at a wound to stop excessive bleeding and stop microorganism from entering.

last question on mycoprotein
the fungus, fusarium is grown in a fermenter which is supplied with glucose syrup for food and respiration+oxygen for aerobic repirarion +nitrogen for growth and the production of amino acids
air is filltered and sterilised so that unwanted microorganisms dot grow in the fermenter
the fusarium is then harvested,purified and dried so that it can be used in food.

the 2 differences between the composition of blood in the vein and artery are:
veins have deoxygenated blood whereas arteries have oxygenated blood
veins have more carbon dioxide than arteries(because it has just come from the cell and exchanged oxygen for CO2 and are now going to the heart to go to the lungs to get rid of it in the alveoli)

i cant remember the question numbers and other questions so if u remember a question, tell me :smile:

i don't remember a six marker about blood?? are you doing foundation by any chance?
Original post by mediaya
the easiest biology exam i have ever done!!!!

A was red blood cells, they have no nucleus and carry haemoglobin which combines with oxygen to make oxyheamogobin, they carry oxygen from the lung to the cells in the body and then oxyheamoglobin break into oxygen and heamoglobin for exchange
B was white blood cell, produce antibodies to kill pathogens, and antitoxin to neutralise the toxin produced by harmful microorganisms
C was platelets, they help the blood to clot at a wound to stop excessive bleeding and stop microorganism from entering.

Woahhhhhh - I don't remember there being questions on types of cells....
Original post by mediaya

I put active transport too! I though Osmosis was water molecules only and it was in sugar solution

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending