The Student Room Group

Acceptance to Mcgill with the IB program.

Okay, so I received 29 points in the IB, I got 6,5 and 4 in my HLs. Mcgill asks for a minimum of 30 points, but I have been majorly involved in extra-curricular activities, I wanted to know what are my chances of acceptance at Mcgill?
Hard to say. There's a lot of factors, namely field of study, how good the other students are etc. What could be a rejection one year, could be an acceptance the following year.

Right now without knowing anything else, I'd say barely squeak in, or wait listed. It really comes down to the strength of ECs, references, and your school.
Reply 2
Original post by zombiejon
Hard to say. There's a lot of factors, namely field of study, how good the other students are etc. What could be a rejection one year, could be an acceptance the following year.

Right now without knowing anything else, I'd say barely squeak in, or wait listed. It really comes down to the strength of ECs, references, and your school.

Okay, just one more question, being more specific here, so my real situation is that I've already been studying at one institution for a year now, and despite it being a private institution, I've been receiving quite good grades (80% average), I've also been involved in various student union activities. What I want to do is not transfer to Mcgill, but to start there as a freshman, given this scenario would they look at my IB scores with the same equality as my current university scores?
That just makes it a little bit more complicated.

It should be possible to enroll as a true freshman. I have friends who have dropped out of one university and re-enrolled as a freshman, but the school they ended up at was a tier below the original school.

As it isn't a completed degree, I doubt that they would consider your current grades initially. McGill would probably base their decision off your IB marks first, then use your current scores as a tiebreaker if needed.
Reply 4
That just makes it a little bit more complicated.

It should be possible to enroll as a true freshman. I have friends who have dropped out of one university and re-enrolled as a freshman, but the school they ended up at was a tier below the original school.

As it isn't a completed degree, I doubt that they would consider your current grades initially. McGill would probably base their decision off your IB marks first, then use your current scores as a tiebreaker if needed.

Okay cool, so in your opinion given my track record, one point below what is needed in IB, a lot of charity work, an internship (however not entirely related to the course) plus very good grades at my current university with a lot of involvement in extra-curricular activities, what would you say my chances of being accepted are?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MirzaIsmail
Okay cool, so in your opinion given my track record, one point below what is needed in IB, a lot of charity work, an internship (however not entirely related to the course) plus very good grades at my current university with a lot of involvement in extra-curricular activities, what would you say my chances of being accepted are?

You should be able to get in. It won't be a shoo-in acceptance - probably in the later rounds of admissions depending on people not committing to McGill, possible waitlist.
Reply 6
You should be able to get in. It won't be a shoo-in acceptance - probably in the later rounds of admissions depending on people not committing to McGill, possible waitlist.

Thanks a lot man, just one question though, how would I describe my current situation on my application,as they would most likely only leave the application grade space for my IB results and not my current uni results.
Original post by MirzaIsmail
Thanks a lot man, just one question though, how would I describe my current situation on my application,as they would most likely only leave the application grade space for my IB results and not my current uni results.

I'm not exactly sure. You'll be better off talking to an admissions officer on that.
Reply 8
I'm not exactly sure. You'll be better off talking to an admissions officer on that.

Okay, but thanks anyway for your help man, really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending