The Student Room Group

Good structure for AO2s??

Generally I've been sticking to the AO2 structure of...

3 Paragraphs, each paragraph outlining a study with explanation on why it contradicts or supports the AO1 theory, and with a methodological criticism at the end pf each

2 paragraphs, 1 IDAs per paragraph, 1 of these with an embedded study to support the point.

However I feel that this isn't in-depth enough and I'm not using enough studies. But this structure leaves me writing constantly from start to finish so I don't know how I can fit more in the time frame.

What approach do you guys use?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoePFR
Generally I've been sticking to the AO2 structure of...

3 Paragraphs, each paragraph outlining a study with explanation on why it contradicts or supports the AO1 theory, and with a methodological criticism at the end pf each

2 paragraphs, 1 IDAs per paragraph, 1 of these with an embedded study to support the point.

However I feel that this isn't in-depth enough and I'm not using enough studies. But this structure leaves me writing constantly from start to finish so I don't know how I can fit more in the time frame.

What approach do you guys use?
I roughly use this structure as well so write about 3/4 paragraphs (with at least 1 or 2 IDA) which are well detailed and tbh that is as much as I can write so no point trying to add more studies as I wouldn't have enough time to do so!
Reply 2
Original post by RedRosesBloom
I roughly use this structure as well so write about 3/4 paragraphs (with at least 1 or 2 IDA) which are well detailed and tbh that is as much as I can write so no point trying to add more studies as I wouldn't have enough time to do so!

I bought the Loopa books to help me with my essay structure and those model essays seem WAAAAY too brief on each point on the AO2, it really seems to go for quantity rather than quality. I've always been bad at guessing my essay scores though. Sometimes I do one I thought was good and I get 12/24, sometimes I do one I think is lousy and get 21/24... Fingers crossed my PSYA3 was okay and my PSYA4 will be too
Original post by JoePFR
I bought the Loopa books to help me with my essay structure and those model essays seem WAAAAY too brief on each point on the AO2, it really seems to go for quantity rather than quality. I've always been bad at guessing my essay scores though. Sometimes I do one I thought was good and I get 12/24, sometimes I do one I think is lousy and get 21/24... Fingers crossed my PSYA3 was okay and my PSYA4 will be too
Hope so too :P! When you said you think you did good... how many paragraphs do you write and how much detail do you go into compared to the ones which you think are 'lousy'?
Reply 4
Original post by RedRosesBloom
Hope so too :P! When you said you think you did good... how many paragraphs do you write and how much detail do you go into compared to the ones which you think are 'lousy'?

It varied. I don't know if it was that my work was inconsistent or my teacher was marking inconsistently, but I never managed to work out the common factors of my good and bad essays despite trying. Asking the teacher wasn't a lot of help. In my PSYA3 I pretty much just tried to replicate the formula I used on the essays where I got 19-21/24 (same one outlined in original post)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending