The Student Room Group

Stuck between 3 different history courses

Hi, I'm stuck between doing ancient history, medieval history or ancient and medieval history at university. My question is whether there would be a greater work load for ancient and medieval history as a joint subject rather than doing the singular subjects. Thanks!
Look at the syllabus and see how many modules there are.
Original post by ninaarisa
Hi, I'm stuck between doing ancient history, medieval history or ancient and medieval history at university. My question is whether there would be a greater work load for ancient and medieval history as a joint subject rather than doing the singular subjects. Thanks!

Why would there be a significant difference? In a joint degree, you spend roughly half your time on one subject and half on the other.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Why would there be a significant difference? In a joint degree, you spend roughly half your time on one subject and half on the other.

Thank you :smile:

I've heard of some courses like Maths and Computer science being more like 2/3 of the Maths course and 2/3 of the computer science course, depending on the place, though I don't know if this is just people trying to make out that their course is the hardest to show how hard they work compared to everyone else in a degree version of "my dad earns more money than yours"...
Original post by Wahrheit
I've heard of some courses like Maths and Computer science being more like 2/3 of the Maths course and 2/3 of the computer science course, depending on the place, though I don't know if this is just people trying to make out that their course is the hardest to show how hard they work compared to everyone else in a degree version of "my dad earns more money than yours"...

As suggested by 999tigger just go and look at some course pages. Each degree has the same number of credits to be studied whether it is single or joint honours.

Ok you might have to get your head around two contrasting disciplines, but not in this case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As suggested by 999tigger just go and look at some course pages. Each degree has the same number of credits to be studied whether it is single or joint honours.

Ok you might have to get your head around two contrasting disciplines, but not in this case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all units were created equal, even within the same discipline - this year, for example, I spent easily double the amount of time in one unit as another of exactly the same size. Sometimes it works out like that. Often the big important core units are more time consuming than electives, and with joint degrees you have far few electives and do the core of both, more often than not. Honestly I don't think it's likely in this case, though.
Original post by Wahrheit
Not all units were created equal, even within the same discipline - this year, for example, I spent easily double the amount of time in one unit as another of exactly the same size. Sometimes it works out like that. Often the big important core units are more time consuming than electives, and with joint degrees you have far few electives and do the core of both, more often than not. Honestly I don't think it's likely in this case, though.

Yes, you make a good point that modules can vary. The heaviest workload in my history degree came in a seminar-based module which was meant to have a minimum of six people. Only I and two others signed up but we successfully pleaded for it to run. There were two seminars a week, each with two papers to be delivered, so between the three of us we wrote 40 seminar papers in one term. The module following involved about half that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending