Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

mechanical maintenance engineer - paramedic

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am after advice on how to make the above career change with minimum impact on the family and our income.

I am 33, with 2 young kids and a wife. I work a fulltime shift job as a fitter. My highest qualification is a Health and Safety Diploma and I have a cat C license. I served 10 years in the TA, completing operational tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. I miss the warm fuzzy feeling that doing a job worth doing gave me. The change will mean earning a lot less than I do now but that is a price I am prepared to pay for a job that will offer more rewards than just £££££.

The sticking point is how to get relevant qualifications and experiences while still doing my full time shift job?

Has anybody here made such a drastic career change?
    Any advice or opinions to share?
    Advice on online courses or books to read?

If you read this you'll find most of your questions answered already

Hi there am guessing you want to become a paramedic? Am a qualified nurse and the paramedics iv come into contact with said they either got work experience as a non emergency ambulance driver like taking them to appointments etc and some were HCAs. Also so tho there was a guy that was an electrician! Lol he was 46 suddenly wanted a career change. I would look into the non emergency side of the ambulance for some healthcare experience because you have you c1. Also another thing iv noticed is ambulance services starting to advertise their own student paramedic posts which would mean you would get paid a salary while learning so contact your local ambulance station too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.