The Student Room Group

Maths S2 or D1? -

Im retaking a module from my maths A level with AQA. Looking to self teach. Achieved an A in S1 but that was 2 years ago. Don't know anything about either module. 2 weeks till the exams on these modules :smile:

I hear D1 is tedious but i never understand what people mean by that. Been told S2 is fun, but is it easy to learn by myself?

If someone can answer my questions then ill be very appreciative! which one is the easiest to do and quickest to learn? Also which one is less wordy? :biggrin: thanks!!!
D1 is definitely the easier module generally speaking, however if you enjoy statistics I would recommend S2. I did s1-3 and d1 and found s2 to be the most enjoyable module personally.

In summary, D1 is quickest and easiest to learn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Katiee224
D1 is definitely the easier module generally speaking, however if you enjoy statistics I would recommend S2. I did s1-3 and d1 and found s2 to be the most enjoyable module personally.

Ah so you have experience of all the modules related to the question, excellent! Do you mind if i ask you some questions through here or messages? :smile:

Well im looking back at S1 and i have mixed opinions - i think it would take me a day or two to remember all of S1. Is S2 about learning new things or do i need previous S1 knowledge to tackle S2? - is it extended statistics 1? Im really anxious on which one to choose!
Neither of them are proper maths tbh. I'd say if you're going to be doing maths at uni take S2, if not then take D1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ameenk95
Ah so you have experience of all the modules related to the question, excellent! Do you mind if i ask you some questions through here or messages? :smile:

Well im looking back at S1 and i have mixed opinions - i think it would take me a day or two to remember all of S1. Is S2 about learning new things or do i need previous S1 knowledge to tackle S2? - is it extended statistics 1? Im really anxious on which one to choose!

Yeah I have covered all the modules in question, you can ask away.:smile:

S2 builds upon the key aspects of s1 such as methods of representing data, discrete random variables, and most of all normal distributions (which is a massive part of statistics). They also throw in a few new things such as binomial distributions and poisson distributions and also hypothesis testing (another key part of statistics)

If you performed well in S1 then you should be absolutely fine with s2, I wouldn't say it's any harder than s1, just new material to learn.

That said, D1 is definitely the easier module and you could learn it allot quicker.
Reply 5
Yeah I have covered all the modules in question, you can ask away.:smile:

S2 builds upon the key aspects of s1 such as methods of representing data, discrete random variables, and most of all normal distributions (which is a massive part of statistics). They also throw in a few new things such as binomial distributions and poisson distributions and also hypothesis testing (another key part of statistics)

If you performed well in S1 then you should be absolutely fine with s2, I wouldn't say it's any harder than s1, just new material to learn.

That said, D1 is definitely the easier module and you could learn it allot quicker.

D1 looks very easy from what i've learnt but i'm only one or two topics in, apparently linear programming is tricky but really isnt that C1 or C2 maths?

I know of binomial and normal distribution already from S1 and binomial in S2 seems the same as S1... Also there is less to cover in S2 if i'm right yeah :smile:? So the aspect of S2 isn't hard but D1 is just quicker to grasp? Did you do Edexcel or AQA? Also i hear losing marks is easy on D1?
D1 looks very easy from what i've learnt but i'm only one or two topics in, apparently linear programming is tricky but really isnt that C1 or C2 maths?

I know of binomial and normal distribution already from S1 and binomial in S2 seems the same as S1... Also there is less to cover in S2 if i'm right yeah :smile:? So the aspect of S2 isn't hard but D1 is just quicker to grasp? Did you do Edexcel or AQA? Also i hear losing marks is easy on D1?

Linear programming requires a knowledge of plotting graphs and working with inequalities, it isn't difficult at all and you should pick it up fairly quick if you have covered c1. People only lose marks in D1 as it is quite strict and requires you to follow algorithms precisely, but they are not difficult.

I did Edexcel and the amount of content in s1 and s2 was about the same, I actually did better on s2. There is less content in D1 and it is far easier to grasp, you could learn D1 in a week to be honest.

Are you looking to study a degree with mathematics/statistics? If so I'd say go for s2, if not and you just want to maximise your UMS I'd say go for D1 as it is definitely the easier module
Reply 7
Linear programming requires a knowledge of plotting graphs and working with inequalities, it isn't difficult at all and you should pick it up fairly quick if you have covered c1. People only lose marks in D1 as it is quite strict and requires you to follow algorithms precisely, but they are not difficult.

I did Edexcel and the amount of content in s1 and s2 was about the same, I actually did better on s2. There is less content in D1 and it is far easier to grasp, you could learn D1 in a week to be honest.

Are you looking to study a degree with mathematics/statistics? If so I'd say go for s2, if not and you just want to maximise your UMS I'd say go for D1 as it is definitely the easier module

Im looking to do a degree in accounting or business management! So not a maths degree. But im sure the uni wont look too deeply into my modules unless i went into the top 20 unis perhaps? I mean S2 would probably help my degree easier but im not doing a maths or statistics degree

You see, i know how D1 is, its tedious and i cant miss out steps. But what if i follow the same kind of method but do my own style of graphing? for example with tracing algorithms, some people have the 'output' column and some people dont, make sense? How long do you reckon itll take to learn S2 inside and out?
Reply 8
Bump :smile:
Don't know anything about either module. 2 weeks till the exams on these modules :smile:

Bro
Reply 10
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Bro

yessss??
yessss??

2 weeks?

U srs fam?

At this point, will it really make a difference which module you pick?
Reply 12
Original post by Abstract_Prism
2 weeks?

U srs fam?

At this point, will it really make a difference which module you pick?

i learnt S1 in a month and got an A, ill live man, just need the easiest module. Take me 4 days to learn the material and 10 days to the exam papers twice.

Quick Reply