The Student Room Group

AQA Triple Science - How To Get An A*

Hi guys, hope you are well. i have my end of year exams coming up (biology, chemistry and physics). i only have a month left for them and i would want to know the most quickest way to get through the content in order to get an A or possibly, an A* in all 3, i heard revising the spec is effective but what are your thoughts?
any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Unit 1s and 2s are easiest, 3s require more time and you're better off doing practice questions. The others you can use videos, notes or revision guides and it's sudeficient. Do lots of past papers
Reply 2
I've pretty much forgotten what the content was for GCSE Chemistry and Physics, so I'm just gonna tell you what I did for A Levels, I covered at least one unit/ topic per night from either subject doing the summary questions, with Physics having a lot of maths, this helped. With Chemistry I made Flash cards of all the reactions and definitions I need to know. Then it was past papers, these always help as you may now the topic word for word from the textbook, but how they ask the question may throw you off, plus it teaches you have to answer some questions that repeatedly come up.
I remember GCSE Biology being more stuff to remember, so I would say flash cards, I think unit 3 has a big section on plants or fish, so flash cards would be useful.
A month is plenty of time, but I'm sure you probably have another 7 subjects at least on top of that to revise for too, so summary questions and flash cards and past papers may be too much, but I would suggest the summary questions for the topics you don't feel as comfortable with as they sorta walk you through the question in parts., but past papers, definitely do
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lolol9
Hi guys, hope you are well. i have my end of year exams coming up (biology, chemistry and physics). i only have a month left for them and i would want to know the most quickest way to get through the content in order to get an A or possibly, an A* in all 3, i heard revising the spec is effective but what are your thoughts?
any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Yes definitely read through the specification prior to the exam. I tend to do it the day before and highlight any areas that I feel like I haven't covered thoroughly or don't know very well. Often there will be the odd point that has not been mentioned in class.

DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Everything on the specification or even mentioned on the specification could come up and if they're feeling annoying like AQA B1, they will ask questions on those tiny topics that you thought were irrelevant.

Past papers are a must; I'm sure you're doing them but make sure you go over the corrections at a later date. I often very quickly forget them so I find that re-answering difficult questions helps me understand what the mark scheme is looking for. Annoying as it is, often the mark scheme wants seemingly irrelevant things so it is good to try and understand the mark scheme's mentality.

Although the equations are provided in physics it is good to go over all of them too so that you do not forget why it is relevant or the context.

Tip: Write your notes in such a fashion that you can test yourself. I often write them as questions on one half and answers on the other so I can cover one half to test myself. If this doesn't work flashcards with the answer and question on different sides may help.

Revision websites are helpful too, I like personally Quizlet.

I can't really thank of much else, I hope it was helpful.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much! this really helped, good luck with your future exams, all the best:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Unit 1s and 2s are easiest, 3s require more time and you're better off doing practice questions. The others you can use videos, notes or revision guides and it's sudeficient. Do lots of past papers

Thank you so much, this really helped! Good luck with any future exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by 11tan
Yes definitely read through the specification prior to the exam. I tend to do it the day before and highlight any areas that I feel like I haven't covered thoroughly or don't know very well. Often there will be the odd point that has not been mentioned in class.

DO NOT IGNORE THEM! Everything on the specification or even mentioned on the specification could come up and if they're feeling annoying like AQA B1, they will ask questions on those tiny topics that you thought were irrelevant.

Past papers are a must; I'm sure you're doing them but make sure you go over the corrections at a later date. I often very quickly forget them so I find that re-answering difficult questions helps me understand what the mark scheme is looking for. Annoying as it is, often the mark scheme wants seemingly irrelevant things so it is good to try and understand the mark scheme's mentality.

Although the equations are provided in physics it is good to go over all of them too so that you do not forget why it is relevant or the context.

Tip: Write your notes in such a fashion that you can test yourself. I often write them as questions on one half and answers on the other so I can cover one half to test myself. If this doesn't work flashcards with the answer and question on different sides may help.

Revision websites are helpful too, I like personally Quizlet.

I can't really thank of much else, I hope it was helpful.:smile:

Omg, thank you so so much this really had helped a lot, I wish you the best in the future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mikeymk
I've pretty much forgotten what the content was for GCSE Chemistry and Physics, so I'm just gonna tell you what I did for A Levels, I covered at least one unit/ topic per night from either subject doing the summary questions, with Physics having a lot of maths, this helped. With Chemistry I made Flash cards of all the reactions and definitions I need to know. Then it was past papers, these always help as you may now the topic word for word from the textbook, but how they ask the question may throw you off, plus it teaches you have to answer some questions that repeatedly come up.
I remember GCSE Biology being more stuff to remember, so I would say flash cards, I think unit 3 has a big section on plants or fish, so flash cards would be useful.
A month is plenty of time, but I'm sure you probably have another 7 subjects at least on top of that to revise for too, so summary questions and flash cards and past papers may be too much, but I would suggest the summary questions for the topics you don't feel as comfortable with as they sorta walk you through the question in parts., but past papers, definitely do

Wow! Thank you so much for your advice, good luck with your chemistry&physics exams. I just wanted to ask, should I revise each science a day e.g 1 hour chem, bio and physics everyday (so it's all balanced) or should I focus solely on one e.g finish all of bio unit 1 then foucs on chem unit 1, what would you recommend? Btw what did you get for your science's? Once again thank you so much for your help and sorry for all these questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by fxlloutboyy

Thank you! Much appreciated:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest