Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English or Maths A Level

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I had just finished my Maths and English ( Both lang and lit) exams, and I feel as if I didn't achieve the B grade in my English Language exam which i was aiming for, which has damaged my confidence to do well in English Language and Literature A-level which i picked to do in September, as i have always struggled to get higher than a C in both English subjects. I also feel that I have done really well in Maths i am entirely certain that i got a B grade in non calc and maybe perhaps an A in the calc paper, this is something which I have always known i can do, unlike getting B in English.

So my question is, should I change English Language and Literature to Maths? It's just that I think I will find Maths very hard and not do very well in it.

My best advice would be to ask your maths teacher, as they will have a much better idea than anybody on here about how well suited you would be to A level Maths.

You should only take maths if you actually enjoy, not just because you think your good at it

Without knowing you I'd have to say Maths. Universities would probrably be inclined to give a person with and A or A* in A level Maths a place rather than in English (Depending on the course of course(see what I did there? xD)) Maths also has a wider application than English. You can practically apply anything to Maths, English on the other hand... Not to mention Maths is solid facts and the answers are way more definitive than English, where you have to infer.

I think it's also good to find out what plays/books you'll be studying beforehand as that can be a vital deciding factor. For maths it does involve hard work, but if you can handle it then go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks everyone,

Is the only reason you didn't chose Maths in the first place because you though it would be to hard, or is it because you planned to do something at uni or career wise that involved English?

If its because you thought maths would be too hard, I don't think that should be your reason if you can do it at GCSE, my maths teacher always said that for A Level maths, you needed at the very least a high B, which by the looks of it you have, you may even get an A, but I would suggest talking to your maths teacher.

If you are feeling that English will be hard to preform in at A Level, talk to your English teacher too, it may be only a 5 minute conversation, but their input will really help your decision.

I think you have up to results day to change your subject or the first or second week of college so do your research, check with your college, and if you have till then, maybe have a look at some A Level maths or English text books over the summer if you can and see how you find them and it will be easier then to make a decision.

Finally, I didn't do A level English so I can't help they're, but I did Maths, I would say that its easier in the fact that you don't have to learn a load of different topics, its usually 6 topics per exam that are usually linked in some way, they are difficult to get your head around at first, but by working at it, it gets a lot easier, excluding S1 and vectors as I didn't like them so much.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.