The Student Room Group

What is a "high" first class degree?

I was just checking the University of Oxford's website and more specifically I was having a look at the Clarendon Scholarship. In the selection criteria, it said that applicants should be expecting a high first class. What exactly is a high first class?

I am a first year student (BA Economics and Politics) at the university of Essex. I am looking forward an 88 to 91 average (Still waiting for a few grades). Do I stand a chance if I keep it up?What additional things can I do in order to be competitive?

Thanks for reading
Original post by mariakrelifa50
I was just checking the University of Oxford's website and more specifically I was having a look at the Clarendon Scholarship. In the selection criteria, it said that applicants should be expecting a high first class. What exactly is a high first class?

I am a first year student (BA Economics and Politics) at the university of Essex. I am looking forward an 88 to 91 average (Still waiting for a few grades). Do I stand a chance if I keep it up?What additional things can I do in order to be competitive?

Thanks for reading

If you're a sciency student, why not speak to your a lecturer whose research area(s) you're interested in and ask to work with them on a project over the summer? I've done the same and have managed to get funding from the Wellcome Trust to work on such a project for 6 weeks this summer.

Perhaps there's a similar sort of thing available if you're an arts degree student?
Original post by thegodofgod
If you're a sciency student, why not speak to your a lecturer whose research area(s) you're interested in and ask to work with them on a project over the summer? I've done the same and have managed to get funding from the Wellcome Trust to work on such a project for 6 weeks this summer.

Perhaps there's a similar sort of thing available if you're an arts degree student?

Well, it sounds like a good idea, sadly now it is too late to do it over the summer, but I will email a few lecturers to ask if there is a possibility to do it throughout the next academic year.
Thanks for the piece of advice :wink:
Original post by mariakrelifa50

Strong, convincing references and an interesting and doable research proposal (presuming it is required for the course) would strengthen your application. Academics are all that counts, unless the Clarendon specifies otherwise. Anything that puts you in the top 5-2% of your cohort will be a 'high first'.

Ignore the sixth-formers, Essex is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending