The Student Room Group

How to clear skin?

Scroll to see replies

drink lots of water and eat as much fruit and vegetables as possible. I've suffered with acne for 6 years, and recently transitioned to a vegan diet. so far my skin has cleared up and isn't as red, which is amazing as I had tried every treatment/ointment in the past years and none seemed to work. if you decide to go vegan/vegetarian I would talk about it with your doctor just to see if it's safe due to your diabetes. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by najama_
I want to clear my skin before september begins. I have very dry skin and very spotty acne scar skin. I have a really bad diet and very badly controlled diabetes type 1? i don't drink much water so im dehyrated. I'm 15. What can i do? what can i do for my health then what products or face masks can i use to help clear my skin? i want it to be crystal clear like some people are.

The best and cheapest way is to use rose water and just spray it on your face. Also you can use tea tree which is good for acne and drink loads of water.

But if you want to use a high brand that would get acne of scars away use salimas skin care solutions which goes away within a day
Original post by BWV1007
Toners rarely help hydrate the skin though. Some contain alcohol and others that contain acne-fighting ingredients like salicylic acid are exfoliating and drying.

Retinol isn't supposed to be worn during the day. Doesn't matter how much sunscreen you've got on, retinol breaks down under sunlight and it will make your skin worse by increasing sensitivity to sunlight. The best way to use retinol is in serum form which contains 0.5-1.5% when you're just starting out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi BWV1007

Yes, you are right..

Just to clarify...

A toner's role is to balance the skin’s pH levels and remove any residual impurities and dead skin cells from the surface. The hydration it provides (assuming it is an alcohol free toner) is minimal. The key thing for Najama is to hydrate herself internally. Not only will this help her diabetes but it will also help her skin. Toners that contain alcohol can dehydrate the skin.

Different alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) e.g. salicylic acid or lactic acid have different properties. Salicylic acid is best for oily skin / treating acne whereas Lactic acid is best for dry skin.

A decent sunscreen should always be applied on top of Retinol. Retinol doesn't cause as much sensitivity to daylight as "tretinoin" - a stronger form of vitamin A. However people can react differently. One thing to note when buying retinol products is to buy them in pump dispensers so that they don't oxidise when they are exposed to air and light.

Retinol can be irritating and drying. It needs to be used slowly and steadily at low concentrations and gradually build up when the skin has become used to it.

Liz
Original post by najama_
Thank you so much, this is the most perfect answer ever!!! highly appreciate it.

Hi Najama

You are more than welcome.

Just happy to help :smile:

Liz
regular exercise ... I go for a run in the morning everyday before school because my acne was sooo bad... plus I became a vegetarian which helped a lot... I would atm that u drink lots of water and regular excericse... and no MAKE UP if u wear it .. if it is really bad I recommend going to the doctors and they will give benzoyl peroxide.. which has also helped a lot... if u have intense scarring I would recommend u to get this product called banish....it is amazing and it works wonders ... it will get rid of all ur scars and give u smooth skin...
Reply 25
I've recently ditched all the commercial expensive cosmetics and switched to natural and homemade products. I use Coalface soap from Lush, tone my skin with apple cider vinegar diluted in water and put on a 'cream' that I made myself with shea butter, coconut oil, bit of olive oil, Vit E essential oil (anti-wrinkle) and Tea Tree essential oil (kills bacteria). I've gotta tell you, it's only been like 3 weeks and my face is looking better already. It's just so much cheaper, better for your skin and your body, and better for the environment as well.
Of course, don't forget to eat healthy and stay active :wink:
Drinking water is super important for clear skin! I decided to stick to a strict water diet and made sure i drank at least 8 glasses of water a day. Water flushes the toxins out of your skin, so at first you may still notice spots, but eventually as the toxins flush out your skin will clear.

I also use Clean & Clear deep cleansing lotion
It contains salicylic acid which can be veryyyy effective on certain people - find a product containing this and theres a chance youll be amazed. It worked wonders on mt skin and its now completely clear, i rarely get spots!
Hey Najama

September is here! Did you follow any of the advice given? How is your skin getting on?

Liz

Quick Reply