The Student Room Group

Recognition for high marks?

Do people really receive recognition from exam boards for receiving high marks or is it just for full marks?
Original post by James1066
Do people really receive recognition from exam boards for receiving high marks or is it just for full marks?

I ve never heard of you getting anything imparticular for either, i had max ums for welsh and business and didnt receive anything for it.
I don't think exam boards give recognition for high marks - but getting full marks in a subject gets you like.. a certificate or something.
Yes, the boards send out letters to the schools of the top performing 5 students (I think it is five) and there are awards for the highest performer in each subject. Don't ask me how they distinguish between all those who get full marks, because I don't know, but the school where I worked often used to get such notification and of course the PR department milked it for all it was worth.
Reply 4
Original post by James1066

There isn't a coherent system, if there's a system at all and I can only tell you about the ones I've seen.

AQA used to send out letters to the GCSE students attaining one of the top 5 marks (N.B. not for the top 5 students but for students who obtained one of the top 5 marks) but I think they may have stopped them - there were years we got 5 or 6 of them and we've not had one for ages despite (in terms of league tables) becoming a better school. You can definitely still get full UMS and NOT get one as other people may have managed significantly more raw marks than you.

There is a company that awards prizes to the top (?30) A level Computing results (for AQA at least).

WJEC give awards to top students.

OCR give awards to the top A level students but you have to do all OCR A levels to get one (and I think you may have to live in the West Midlands too).

I've never seen anything from Edexcel, despite the fact we've had several students achieve full UMS marks in different Edexcel A levels.

Original post by Compost
There isn't a coherent system, if there's a system at all and I can only tell you about the ones I've seen.

AQA used to send out letters to the GCSE students attaining one of the top 5 marks (N.B. not for the top 5 students but for students who obtained one of the top 5 marks) but I think they may have stopped them - there were years we got 5 or 6 of them and we've not had one for ages despite (in terms of league tables) becoming a better school. You can definitely still get full UMS and NOT get one as other people may have managed significantly more raw marks than you.

There is a company that awards prizes to the top (?30) A level Computing results (for AQA at least).

WJEC give awards to top students.

OCR give awards to the top A level students but you have to do all OCR A levels to get one (and I think you may have to live in the West Midlands too).

I've never seen anything from Edexcel, despite the fact we've had several students achieve full UMS marks in different Edexcel A levels.

Yes, my bad. Can't have been only five in the country. I didn't know they had stopped doing them. I just thought our school had got worse....
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, my bad. Can't have been only five in the country. I didn't know they had stopped doing them. I just thought our school had got worse....

I was always suspicious on how well we did (we got 3 for French one year and we're not that good a school) so read the small print. Glad it's not just us who stopped getting them.

Quick Reply

Latest