The Student Room Group

I'm a Sikh planning to marry a Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by singher
There is no verse referenced, and I also don't really follow that scripture anyway.

And I do abide by some major teachings, in that I believe in the God, I do try to remember God, I do try to earn a good living, and I do try to share.

However I do follow activities such as I cut my hair, eat meat(mostly Halal meat), drink alcohol, and I used to sleep around.

I don't really want an Anand Karaj for myself, a secular ceremony will suit me more in my opinion.

Its a rehatnama, but I'm guessing you don't know what that means, thus proving my point further.

Well those teachings are teachings in most religions lol, and they are generally good values not exclusive sikhi, so therefore that is not something which makes you more sikh.

After doing all those activities, don't you feel embarrassed to even identify yourself as a sikh? Not even that, but to go further and act like you know stuff about it?

Well a 'sikh' would want an Anand Karaj, because they understand the meaning behind it.
Reply 81
Original post by Zamestaneh
Well that isn't adhering to the religion, it's more calling yourself a Sikh and saying that it inspired you from time to time but otherwise it is just a label of heritage...

Actually it is a massive reason, and most Muslim girls wouldn't go against their family, community and religion, especially if they are religious. Has she even expressed a desire to marry you?

It shows how much you care about her that you want her to corrupt herself for you...

I still identify myself as a Sikh. And maybe if most will not do it, does not mean she will not. And I feel that she also really wants to marry me, however I am just waiting for the right time to ask.

And I don't want her to corrupt herself. I feel that getting married will benefit us both.
Reply 82
Original post by TheALevelStudent
Its a rehatnama, but I'm guessing you don't know what that means, thus proving my point further.

Well those teachings are teachings in most religions lol, and they are generally good values not exclusive sikhi, so therefore that is not something which makes you more sikh.

After doing all those activities, don't you feel embarrassed to even identify yourself as a sikh? Not even that, but to go further and act like you know stuff about it?

Well a 'sikh' would want an Anand Karaj, because they understand the meaning behind it.

There is no such thing as being more Sikh or less Sikh. I just stated the fundamental principles in which I believe in.

And after those activities, I am not embarrassed to identify as a Sikh as I believe change is possible for anyone,.
I am however ashamed of drinking alcohol and getting with the girls(mostly white girls) I got with. However everyone has their own weaknesses. However cutting the hair and eating Halal meat, I honestly don't see anything wrong with.

And not ALL Sikhs would want an Anand Karaj, and in fact a lot of Sikhs nowadays don't. You can not speak out for all Sikhs.
cool
Original post by singher
There is no such thing as being more Sikh or less Sikh. I just stated the fundamental principles in which I believe in.

And after those activities, I am not embarrassed to identify as a Sikh as I believe change is possible for anyone,.
I am however ashamed of drinking alcohol and getting with the girls(mostly white girls) I got with. However everyone has their own weaknesses. However cutting the hair and eating Halal meat, I honestly don't see anything wrong with.

And not ALL Sikhs would want an Anand Karaj, and in fact a lot of Sikhs nowadays don't. You can not speak out for all Sikhs.

Clearly there is, you get those Sikhs who live in accordance with the teaching of sikhi, and those who claim to be 'sikh' have no regard for the teachings.

Indeed change can happen to anyone, but unless you are proactively trying to understand your religon more and grow in your spirituality, you cannot identify as being a Sikh as you are not learning.

Being a Sikh, you should know there are four cardinal sins in sikhi which a Sikh must never do, eating halal meat, cutting your hair and comitting adultery are three of them.

By definition if you are a Sikh you want an anand Karaj.

Mine and your definition of Sikh vary differently. I do not class someone a Sikh who was merely born in a Sikh household and does not follow try to follow the teachings. A person is only a Sikh if they are every day improving and learning to become more intact with the Sikh religon.

So basically you were born in a Sikh household, you agree with the basic values which are common in pretty much all religions, but when it comes to the unique views which are exclusive to Sikhs, you don't follow them. So there is no significant quality of you defining you as a Sikh, as you could easily be a moderate follower of any other religion.

Therefore labelling yourself a Sikh and creating this thread is extremely misleading, as it appears you are more non-Sikh than Sikh.
Reply 85
Clearly there is, you get those Sikhs who live in accordance with the teaching of sikhi, and those who claim to be 'sikh' have no regard for the teachings.

Indeed change can happen to anyone, but unless you are proactively trying to understand your religon more and grow in your spirituality, you cannot identify as being a Sikh as you are not learning.

Being a Sikh, you should know there are four cardinal sins in sikhi which a Sikh must never do, eating halal meat, cutting your hair and comitting adultery are three of them.

Mine and your definition of Sikh vary differently. I do not class someone a Sikh who was merely born in a Sikh household and does not follow try to follow the teachings. A person is only a Sikh if they are every day improving and learning to become more intact with the Sikh religon.

So basically you were born in a Sikh household, you agree with the basic values which are common in pretty much all religions, but when it comes to the unique views which are exclusive to Sikhs, you don't follow them. So there is no significant quality of you defining you as a Sikh, as you could easily be a moderate follower of any other religion.

Therefore labelling yourself a Sikh and creating this thread is extremely misleading, as it appears you are more non-Sikh than Sikh.

You are not in the position to say that I am a non-Sikh, as I am entitled to identify myself if I wish. If I wanted to identify myself as a Jew, then I would be entitled to do that too. Same goes if you wanted to identify yourself as Hindu, there is nothing which I can do to stop you doing that. So if you want to class me as a non-Sikh, then that is not a problem to me as it does not change what I identify myself as.

And I am aware that those are four major sins, however I wish not to follow two of them and I used to not follow any of them. I honestly don't feel guilty when I cut my hair or eat Halal meat.

And this thread is important as I just want to hear other people's opinions out of interest. Not that it will change the current situation.
Reply 86
Original post by singher
Like the title says.

hi! honestly speaking...why? when you can marry a fellow sikh with the same religion and cultural practices....
Reply 87
Original post by sadly
hi! honestly speaking...why? when you can marry a fellow sikh with the same religion and cultural practices....

Well I would be open to marrying anyone from any religion, Sikh or non-Sikh. It just happened to be that the girl I fell in love with is a Muslim.
Original post by frankielogue
your faith will eventually make her sikh and at night she’ll be a disturbance

Haha..nice one...
Reply 89
Don't marryyyyy her///
Original post by singher
You are not in the position to say that I am a non-Sikh, as I am entitled to identify myself if I wish. If I wanted to identify myself as a Jew, then I would be entitled to do that too. Same goes if you wanted to identify yourself as Hindu, there is nothing which I can do to stop you doing that. So if you want to class me as a non-Sikh, then that is not a problem to me as it does not change what I identify myself as.

And I am aware that those are four major sins, however I wish not to follow two of them and I used to not follow any of them. I honestly don't feel guilty when I cut my hair or eat Halal meat.

And this thread is important as I just want to hear other people's opinions out of interest. Not that it will change the current situation.

I never said I was. All i stated was that you are lying to yourself about who you are.

Lol well that's dumb. You say you are Sikh but you do stuff that sikhi directly opposes. Bare logic there fam
Reply 91
why man why gonna do that to your parents to her when you can just go **** around with someone of your own religion and culture and stop messing about
Reply 92
I never said I was. All i stated was that you are lying to yourself about who you are.

Lol well that's dumb. You say you are Sikh but you do stuff that sikhi directly opposes. Bare logic there fam

And I'm not lying. I am a Sikh.

Actually a lot of people do stuff that directly opposes the religion. However me getting married to this girl is not something that opposes the religion.
Original post by singher
And I'm not lying. I am a Sikh.

Actually a lot of people do stuff that directly opposes the religion. However me getting married to this girl is not something that opposes the religion.

Sadly (for you) it opposes her religion. Does she know this ? If she doesn't, she could be making a big mistake if she ever plans to return to Allah

Spoiler

Reply 94
Original post by That Arab Guy
Sadly (for you) it opposes her religion. Does she know this ? If she doesn't, she could be making a big mistake if she ever plans to return to Allah

Spoiler

She is aware that it opposes her religion, though we both believe that carrying this out will benefit us.

And she is practicing. I.e. she prays 5 times a day, fasts, wears hijab etc.
Original post by Nimrahk123
Don't worry, my Dads a photographer, done loads of Sikh, Muslim weddings. It's more comman than realised I think.

so are honour killings unfortunately

you are aware that sikhism allows a sikh to marry anyone of other faith ( unlike islam if she is actualy practicing muslim)
this is why sikhs do marry christians and hindus (and vice versa) and do not have to contradict their own teachings . if she is a genuine muslim it would be difficult to avoid eating halal - which as you say is a fundamental , but the other is smoking / drinking- which im sure you will accept many sikhs do and still preach to others about morality , politics etc
sounds like neither of you two are the practicing faiths you claim. so treat it just as a boy meets a girls and they like each other- without complication.

but your families - thats another issue
Reply 98
Original post by Chakede
you are aware that sikhism allows a sikh to marry anyone of other faith ( unlike islam if she is actualy practicing muslim)
this is why sikhs do marry christians and hindus (and vice versa) and do not have to contradict their own teachings . if she is a genuine muslim it would be difficult to avoid eating halal - which as you say is a fundamental , but the other is smoking / drinking- which im sure you will accept many sikhs do and still preach to others about morality , politics etc

Are you even Sikh?
I do not know the ins and outs but I'm sure if both of your families see the love you have for each other then nothing should stand in the way of that! Marry, love is love! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest