The Student Room Group

AS & A-Level Grades/Requirements Help

I'm currently an AS student studying Maths, Chem and Bio and if i wish to continue with the 2 sciences (which i plan on doing) then these AS grades will count as mock grades and wont count towards the final/actual grades. But they still affect university applications as they are counted as predicted grades. So if i got, say, an A in maths, and 2 B's in Chem and Bio (so ABB), (the maths counts as an AS grade btw but the sciences dont) then i wont be able to get into/receive offers from top uni's (with just ABB) as most take AAA only.

But what if i ended up getting 3 A's in both sciences and maths for A2 next year? Would i be able to join the universities the following year (straight after basically)? Or would i have to wait a whole year (a gap year or something and then apply again)

Just something i need clearing up on as my heads not fully around the whole university/requirement grades sorta thing.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by uz2y
I'm currently an AS student studying Maths, Chem and Bio and if i wish to continue with the 2 sciences (which i plan on doing) then these AS grades will count as mock grades and wont count towards the final/actual grades. But they still affect university applications as they are counted as predicted grades. So if i got, say, an A in maths, and 2 B's in Chem and Bio (so ABB), (the maths counts as an AS grade btw but the sciences dont) then i wont be able to get into/receive offers from top uni's (with just ABB) as most take AAA only.

But what if i ended up getting 3 A's in both sciences and maths for A2 next year? Would i be able to join the universities the following year (straight after basically)? Or would i have to wait a whole year (a gap year or something and then apply again)

Just something i need clearing up on as my heads not fully around the whole university/requirement grades sorta thing.

Thanks.

You school provides UCAS with predictions in your reference. How they calculate the predictions is up to the school but it's common for some schools to predict higher than the AS achievement if they think you will do better in the final A-level exams.

Also, ASs are NOT mocks. The results need to be declared on UCAS (unlike mocks). It's up to the universities to decide if they are interested in them or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ok thanks.

I know they aren't mock I'm just saying the AS ones won't go towards my final grade in A2 (should I wish to continue the sciences which I do)

So technically they said they're like mocks.

So could you answer this please. If I got ABB this year (B's in the AS Sciences that don't go on towards next year's final grade as our exam next year for A2 will have both As and A2 bits in it too) and then ABB were my predicted grades so I couldn't get into a certain Uni, what if I then got AAA the next year? For my final A2 grades. Would I have to wait another extra year to apply or what would my options be to apply for that same uni that wouldn't take/accept ABB?

Thanks I hope that makes sense.
Original post by uz2y
Ok thanks.

I know they aren't mock I'm just saying the AS ones won't go towards my final grade in A2 (should I wish to continue the sciences which I do)

So could you answer this please. If I got ABB this year (B's in the AS Sciences that don't go on towards next year's final grade as our exam next year for A2 will have both As and A2 bits in it too) and then ABB were my predicted grades so I couldn't get into a certain Uni, what if I then got AAA the next year? For my final A2 grades. Would I have to wait another extra year to apply or what would my options be to apply for that same uni that wouldn't take/accept ABB?

You could try using adjustment in that situation, also i m not saying its likely but it is possible to get an offer for AAA when you have ABB,so you could take the risk and apply to 1 place that asks for AAA but i wouldnt apply to any more than that.
Original post by uz2y
Ok thanks.

It's up to the university to decide if they want to make you an offer and it depends on where you want to apply. Last year I got BCC (BBC was my predicted grades for this year) in my AS exams but 3/5 of my offers were for ABB and the other 2 were BBB. One of my friends got ABB last year and her firm choice is asking for AAA. Basically what I'm saying is that unis can offer you higher than your predicted/achieved grades as long as you have a strong personal statement
Reply 5
Using adjustment?

Say if there was no way of accepting me (looking at this from a completely Strict perspective where they ONLY accept AAA) and the 2 B's didn't count as an actual grade so I'd get my UCAS Points combined together after my A2 exams for the sciences. And then I wouldn't get accepted in the first year (after receiving AS grades for year 12) but after year 13, say I got AAA as my actual final grades, could I contact them/reapply and get considered? Or would i have to wait a whole extra year (because I'd get my A2 grades late in August obviously)
Reply 6
Original post by uz2y
Using adjustment?

Say if there was no way of accepting me (looking at this from a completely Strict perspective where they ONLY accept AAA) and the 2 B's didn't count as an actual grade so I'd get my UCAS Points combined together after my A2 exams for the sciences. And then I wouldn't get accepted in the first year (after receiving AS grades for year 12) but after year 13, say I got AAA as my actual final grades, could I contact them/reapply and get considered? Or would i have to wait a whole extra year (because I'd get my A2 grades late in August obviously)

You have a few misconceptions:

* Most of the "better" universities don't use UCAS points.

* You can certainly apply to 1 or 2 universities above your predicted grades and it's quite possible they will give you an offer.

* Adjustment is for the situation when you exceed your firm offer. E.g. say your offer is ABB but you get AAA on Results Day. You can then contact "better" universities to see if they can take you (although be aware Oxbridge and Imperial are never in Adjustment).
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15539-Changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

* If you apply with A-level grades in hand you would be taking a gap year and apply in January after you get the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
You have a few misconceptions:

* Most of the "better" universities don't use UCAS points.

* You can certainly apply to 1 or 2 universities above your predicted grades and it's quite possible they will give you an offer.

* Adjustment is for the situation when you exceed your firm offer. E.g. say your offer is ABB but you get AAA on Results Day. You can then contact "better" universities to see if they can take you (although be aware Oxbridge and Imperial are never in Adjustment).
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15539-Changing-university-via-adjustment-what-you-need-to-know

* If you apply with A-level grades in hand you would be taking a gap year and apply in January after you get the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thankyou, so if i apply with my A-Level grades then the only option is to take a gap year?

Also, when do you suggest i start applying? I've just finished my AS's in year 12 now.

Quick Reply

Latest