The Student Room Group

Rta

it crossed my mind the other day that if i was out and about and i came across an animal that was still alive, but harmed, after being in an RTA aprart from taking it straight to a vets, i wouldnt have a clue how to help! :s

of course i would cover over wounds and stuff and possibly check caphilliary refill time (to check for internal bleeding). but i couldnt think what else would be useful.

anyone got any ideas? x
Reply 1
I don't know, but as a trained first aider (for people) I think I might just treat it the same way, i.e. clean any wounds and keep it warm until I can take it to a vet. You have to watch yourself though, injured animals will try to defend themselves.

I do know that it is physically possible to give a dog mouth to mouth but I wouldn't recommend it. Not before a hot date anyway....:biggrin:
try and put it onto a blanket or coat as a makeshift stretcher to minimise spinal injuries. you can also 'percuss' the chest tapping the ribcage with your hand. it should sound like a drum (try it on yourself now to see what it shld sound like) if it doesn't ie isn' hollow then there is fluid on the lung.
thats all i know i'm not a first aider for animals or people so it may be wrong.
haha ive seen somebody giving a snake mouth to mouth.
Reply 4
I tried to run over an injured pheasant to finish it off, but the high lift of my 4x4 made a wind as i went past that blew it into an air intake of a porsche coming the other way!

Latest

Trending

Trending