The Student Room Group

Do I NEED to do an Access course?

I'm 23 and received qualifications in 2011, Triple Distinction at BTEC. I'm unsure whether its necessary to do an Access course when I have current qualifications? I'm interested in an Art & Design degree so wondered whether I should just focus on my portfolio?

Many thanks!
Reply 1
I got on my degree without doing an access course (I didn't have a BTEC or A Levels either) as did a couple of other students. I had an interview and sat an exam. My degree was different to the one you're hoping to do so I can't advise on portfolios etc
Reply 2
Original post by Clickeyyy
I'm 23 and received qualifications in 2011, Triple Distinction at BTEC. I'm unsure whether its necessary to do an Access course when I have current qualifications? I'm interested in an Art & Design degree so wondered whether I should just focus on my portfolio?

Many thanks!

Every uni - and potentially every course - can make their own decision, so there's no way for us to know. Your best bet is to contact the the Admissions Office of the uni(s) running your preferred course, explain your situation and ask them direct. I suspect that entry requirements which include a portfolio or practical experience, might not put so much emphasis on an Access course, but you won't know unless you ask.

As an example, I was one of two mature students on my course. I didn't have to do an Access course but the other one did.
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Every uni - and potentially every course - can make their own decision, so there's no way for us to know. Your best bet is to contact the the Admissions Office of the uni(s) running your preferred course, explain your situation and ask them direct. I suspect that entry requirements which include a portfolio or practical experience, might not put so much emphasis on an Access course, but you won't know unless you ask.

As an example, I was one of two mature students on my course. I didn't have to do an Access course but the other one did.

Yeah that makes sense. Ok, thanks for your advice! It's always baffling whether you need to do "this" option or "that" option.

Quick Reply

Latest