The Student Room Group

What salary are you aiming to earn when you are 25?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
What job??

Dentistry
Original post by zanner

six figures ladssss
Why do people care about this? For god's sake find some meaning in life other than a good salary
£500K minimum. Anything less and I'd consider myself a failure.
Original post by That Arab Guy
Dentistry

100k a year in dentistry? Not anymore mate, unless you want to plan for a Brexit vote to stop EU workers coming here!

I'd like to be on the 50k mark. Realistically, I'll be either on 35k or trying to scrape the barrel for enough savings to fund my post grad
Reply 85
probably not much, seeing as I am going into the music industry... but I would rather do something I love rather than a boring office job (no offence to anyone who is interested in that, it's not for me) :smile:
Hopefully £25-27k
Realistically anything between 20k - 30k would suffice definitely want to have a career that allows progression as I would like my salary to increase overtime.
If everything goes to plan, about 20,000k:hmmmm2:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
If everything goes to plan, about 20,000k:hmmmm2:

20,000k?

£20,000,000 then? Nice.
realistically even with trading and real estate, at that early prolly 70k annually
Original post by Changing Skies
I'll hopefully be doing a PhD then so my salary will be whatever funding I get :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you want to do a phD in?
Case scenarios:

1) Get an IBD job: Analyst 3 ~£95-120k all-in

2) Get a consulting job: BA/AC/whatever entry level title ~£50-70k

3) Get a PM or software dev job at a top tech co: probably PM 1/SWE 1 ~£60-110k all-in

4) MC/US Training Contract: first year trainee ~£40-50k

5) Get a standard grad scheme at a blue chip: ~£35-45k

Anything over £30k would be nice if none of the above happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by MintyMilk
Why do people care about this? For god's sake find some meaning in life other than a good salary

Because far too many people in here believe that the higher salary job, the greater general life happiness. They will all be in for a gigantic shock. Get a job in a field that you love first, then worry about money. Otherwise you'll just hate your job.
Original post by Friar Chris
20,000k?

£20,000,000 then? Nice.

Yeah, aiming high. :h: :colonhash:
Reply 95
At 25 years old, I would have graduated a few years back. I think I would aim to earn around 40k.
Reply 96
None, because I'll be doing a Ph.D
Around 40-65 big ones (working in asset management)
Original post by ahpadt
Because far too many people in here believe that the higher salary job, the greater general life happiness.

Amen to this, my stepdad earns a good wage (poverty to those who will clearly earn 100k in their early twenties types ofc) but he's always pretty down about things despite 3 career changes. Same **** different place, last minute plans have to be cancelled because you suddenly have to drive across the country to close a deal tomorrow, you end up having to do days of 12hr shifts to get work done etc. He's always getting digestive issues and such like which have been related to stress. It's screws your work life balance.

Smidgen under 20k (though in the next few years with career progression that'll go up a bit as I'm low down on the ladder atm, but not massively realistically unless I opt to get into upper management). But we're fine at the moment, I do 7 hr days, 20 min break, it's not back breaking work, it's pretty stress free, time for chat and banter. Set off at 7:40, back before 4 (bit of flexi-time here on start and finish), don't need to think about work when at home, you don't get deadlines which need to be met, reasonably casual management, can ask for half days at the drop of the hat (tomorrow England v Wales ofc) and just make up the time whenever.

Now yeah I'll wanting the salary to go up with age and a family, but I'd much rather earn £30k or so and have a really good work/life balance than earn double or triple but have a load on my shoulders. Bit different if you're in London, this is for the midlands.

Obviously everyone is different, some like the challenge, some aim to earn/save a lot when young and retire significantly earlier. Some particular skillsets will allow for a high wage without too much stress in the job.

For me it's race home for 3:30, chill out, do some green-fingered stuff (grow fruit/veg), got time to cook complex/time consuming recipes from scratch etc.
Wow, you all either are very ambitious or have unrealistic expectations, I'm a new graduate at 22 expecting anything over 20k at that age

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest