The Student Room Group

I'm Fasting - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucabrasi98
Lads I just thought I'd drop in to say thanks for fasting. I'm sure that'll lower grade boundaries for my maths exam by at least 1-2 marks.

*Especially for D1 and C4 where full concentration is a necessity,

Hahahah lol, i think i did better in the calculator paper when i was fasting than when i wasnt, in the non calculator paper, sooo... You never know grade boumdaries might go up...
Original post by mariam687
LOL AWW

tht pic tho, made me laugh hehe

oh n btw thanks for da rep frm b4, i couldnt vm u bc ur vms are closed :frown:

Feel like a proper bechara - my stomach is growling :redface:

Np, don't need to VM me thanks though, just make dua for me InshaAllah - the dua of one who is fasting is not rejected befor ethey break their fast :smile:
Original post by Zamestaneh
Feel like a proper bechara - my stomach is growling :redface:

Np, don't need to VM me thanks though, just make dua for me InshaAllah - the dua of one who is fasting is not rejected befor ethey break their fast :smile:

my stomach is making whale noises LOL

np and you will be in my duas :colondollar:

HAHAHA whale noises, that was nice
Original post by mediaya
Hahahah lol, i think i did better in the calculator paper when i was fasting than when i wasnt, in the non calculator paper, sooo... You never know grade boumdaries might go up...

It just makes sense for people fasting across the country to do slightly worse (on average that is) than they would without fasting. There will always be exceptions though

Tbh I just want my A2 maths grade boundaries down.
Original post by Emad1993
HAHAHA whale noises, that was nice

wallahi lol thats my stomach making noises LOL
Original post by SeanFM
Can't you, or shouldn't you, just not fast while you have exams?

People may disagree with me but since I am currently sitting my GCSEs I am not keeping fasts because I find I wont be able to concentrate in he exam. I only drink and east whilst I am at home because I wat to respect the other whom are actually keeping the fast in school. I am planning to catch up on the ones I missed.
Original post by siidrraah
People may disagree with me but since I am currently sitting my GCSEs I am not keeping fasts because I find I wont be able to concentrate in he exam. I only drink and east whilst I am at home because I wat to respect the other whom are actually keeping the fast in school. I am planning to catch up on the ones I missed.

Ah I see, that is very thoughtful of you, and I think a good compromise as well. But you're right, some may disagree :dontknow:
"think about the unfortunates" are you kidding?? I'm barely hanging on to my will to live let alone be in deep thought about the unfortunates.

I think more about the unfortunate in a normal day-to-day situation.

I think the purpose of fasting is more about patience, and developing gratitude etc and to wash away sins. People will be "more of a muslim" than they are the rest of year because of how the rewards are multiplied, Allah made it a holy month.

Original post by Emad1993
fasting does not affect your performance in the exam :smile: ...

looool okay ??? i'd strongly beg to differ.

wallahi lol thats my stomach making noises LOL
same :/ freaking 18 1/2 hr fast fml I actually have stomach pains
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alkaline.
"think about the unfortunates" are you kidding?? I'm barely hanging on to my will to live let alone be in deep thought about the unfortunates.

I think more about the unfortunate in a normal day-to-day situation.

I think the purpose of fasting is more about patience, and developing gratitude etc and to wash away sins. People will be "more of a muslim" than they are the rest of year because of how the rewards are multiplied, Allah made it a holy month.

looool okay ??? i'd strongly beg to differ.

same :/ freaking 18 1/2 hr fast fml I actually have stomach pains

its ok, we cn do dis

I guess you just debunked the origins of this mystery sound :rolleyes:

[video="youtube;bV0C0S0rfbE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0C0S0rfbE[/video]

BarakAllahu feek :smile:
Original post by Zamestaneh
I guess you just debunked the origins of this mystery sound :rolleyes:

[video="youtube;bV0C0S0rfbE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV0C0S0rfbE[/video]

BarakAllahu feek :smile:

LOOOOOOOOOOL thats hw my stomach soundsss LOLOLOL

:smile:
Original post by SMEGGGY
Eating every midnight defeats the objective, as the unfortunates don't feast at midnight....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree. The poor don't eat at all sometimes in 24 hours, don't have shelter, warmth. I think it's belittling and patronising the people facing this issue for real rather than doing anything else. Sorry if you want to fast, fine but don't act as if that lets you know what it's like for poor people.
Reply 93
Original post by mediaya
Its nit always in the summer, ramadan moves 11 days forward each year, meaning next year, ramadan will start on the 27th may and so on till it comes in january when the days are shorter and colder

Interesting Fact: the last time Ramadan was in exam season was 33 years ago approximately so in 15 years or so Ramadan will have much shorter fasts as it will be in the winter months.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I completely agree. The poor don't eat at all sometimes in 24 hours, don't have shelter, warmth. I think it's belittling and patronising the people facing this issue for real rather than doing anything else. Sorry if you want to fast, fine but don't act as if that lets you know what it's like for poor people.

It does help one feel empathy, although most certainly it will never let one truly know how it feels in every way, but to say as much is not patronising at all.
Original post by lucabrasi98
It just makes sense for people fasting across the country to do slightly worse (on average that is) than they would without fasting. There will always be exceptions though

Tbh I just want my A2 maths grade boundaries down.

Haha okay, hope the grade boumdaries go down for you anyways.
Muslim here. I'm not going to lie, fasting this year is difficult. The exhaustion effectively reduces the amount of time you can spend revising. I'll probably my grades regardless but things are not easy at all.
Reply 97
Original post by SeanFM
Can't you, or shouldn't you, just not fast while you have exams?

The reasons for a muslim not to fast are; travelling, illness (including females who are menstruating) and old age. Some say women who are pregnant or breast feeding are also exempt from fasting, however many still chose to fast if they feel that they are physically capable of doing so. So exams are not a reason not to fast. The struggle you experience while fasting and having to study for exams allows you to gain more 'credit' from Allah (God) for fasting. So we have faith in Allah knowing that he will help us and we keep in mind that gaining 'points' from God is much more worthy than a couple of UMS points. As far as i know, however, people who experience severe anxiety or sickness before exams may be exempt from fasting. Basically, Allah knows whats best for us and he doesn't want us to suffer too much so people who get very sick while fasting do not have to fast. Also Diabetics and people with other major illnesses or those who have to take medication do not have to fast.

Fasting is not in any way 'dangerous'. Our bodies are adapted to storing food and essentially, not eating or drinking for long periods of time. In fact, fasting has many health benefits as it is proven to cleanse the body of toxins and plays a part in repairing cells. Also, fasting is not unique to Islam, it has been practiced by many people of different religions for thousands of years.

I think one can only truly understand it if they experience it themselves and really connect with their religion. Its purpose is to teach ourselves discipline and self control two major virtues which make us better muslims and better people. When fasting (properly) you feel as though you are at the utmost level of faith and piety and you just feel at ease.
I had three exams while fasting so far and i went in to them having faith in Allah and came out feeling like i did better than i had in all my other exams. Also, i didn't feel hungry or even think about food during the exams or while studying even though i normally snack all the time when it's not Ramadan haha.
Hope that helped in clarifying some things about Ramadan :smile:
Are you hungry?
Original post by Najlac
x

Ah, I understand a bit more now. That is quite insightful :h: especially a bit about the utmost faith.

Quick Reply

Latest