The Student Room Group

Taking co-amoxiclav 500/125mg tablets with yoghurt

I'm being treated for a mouth infection and was prescribed co-amoxiclav by the doctor. I struggle with swallowing tablets and as these ones are large, I can't swallow them whole with just water. I started taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt and have found that this allows me to swallow them easily. Is this ok to do?
Reply 1
Original post by ScottishShortiex
I'm being treated for a mouth infection and was prescribed co-amoxiclav by the doctor. I struggle with swallowing tablets and as these ones are large, I can't swallow them whole with just water. I started taking them with a spoonful of yoghurt and have found that this allows me to swallow them easily. Is this ok to do?

It will be okay for most tablets as long as they say they can be taken with food. And a lot of ones that can't be taken with food should still be okay with a little spoonfull. Check with a pharmacist though because all tablets are different.
If yoghurt is an issue for whatever reason you could try it with jelly, a thick drink like milkshake or smoothie or fizzy drink. I used to find that with fizzy drinks the bubbles distracted me from the tablet and it also helped train me with tablets.

It's also worth remembering that you can get a lot of tablets in liquid form if you ask.

Quick Reply

Latest