The Student Room Group

What subjects do I need to apply to architecture at Uni?

I am starting the IB next year for sixth form. As of right now, I am doing Higher Physics, Geography and History, and Standard Mathematics, English and French. Are these subjects okay or do I need something arty? Please Help
it depends on the course type to be honest. every uni will come at it differently. BA honours will typically go at it from an arty graphic design point of view, favoring the ideas, creativity and way you show your ideas. i mean there will always be history of architecture, environmental modules and construction modules but the design studio sector will be mostly ruled by that. find what you like about architecture. some unis prefer you to do the maths and engineering side showing stress points of buildings and problem solving how it will stay up etc. I chose Shefield Hallam because the focus was on the environmental impact throughout the design process, which suited me well because I have a vested interest in environmental architecture. I think its important to do a design A level (or equivalent), those guys seam to have a bit of an upperhand, I chose Product Design (like graphics and resistant materials mixed) Geography and Physics, but I havent had to use any physics ( I am only first year that being said). Just find what interests you and go from there. And have a sick portfolio, unis love that. my offer got reduced by 2 grades. your subjects are fine but i would get a couple art books to help you with your portfolio, youll visibly see yourself get better whilst composing your portfolio. Id do a lot of random perspective drawings, i wouldnt focus on buildings however, more like scenes of life, just as long as you give your portfolio a good try then youll be fine. keep a sketchbook along side to do some short practice sketches of ideas of sketches/scenes. theyll cream over that.
good luck xox
Original post by 97lamyers
it depends on the course type to be honest. every uni will come at it differently. BA honours will typically go at it from an arty graphic design point of view, favoring the ideas, creativity and way you show your ideas. i mean there will always be history of architecture, environmental modules and construction modules but the design studio sector will be mostly ruled by that. find what you like about architecture. some unis prefer you to do the maths and engineering side showing stress points of buildings and problem solving how it will stay up etc. I chose Shefield Hallam because the focus was on the environmental impact throughout the design process, which suited me well because I have a vested interest in environmental architecture. I think its important to do a design A level (or equivalent), those guys seam to have a bit of an upperhand, I chose Product Design (like graphics and resistant materials mixed) Geography and Physics, but I havent had to use any physics ( I am only first year that being said). Just find what interests you and go from there. And have a sick portfolio, unis love that. my offer got reduced by 2 grades. your subjects are fine but i would get a couple art books to help you with your portfolio, youll visibly see yourself get better whilst composing your portfolio. Id do a lot of random perspective drawings, i wouldnt focus on buildings however, more like scenes of life, just as long as you give your portfolio a good try then youll be fine. keep a sketchbook along side to do some short practice sketches of ideas of sketches/scenes. theyll cream over that.
good luck xox

Hi 97 lamyers. I'm just starting on my portfolio (have between now and January to get it done and refined) but it's honestly one of the scariest things I've had to do. I haven't done art as a subject in school since year 9 and while I've always been very good at drawing, I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough yet to make a good portfolio. I'm pretty good at drawing, not so much observation drawing. I have a strong graphics background since I took graphic design GCSE and I'm taking Product Design A level. I'm out of practise when it comes to shading (although graphics has developed my rendering and more technical skills greatly). I reckon I'm ok when it comes to the more technical and graphical stuff: I'm going to use my DT coursework and CAD skills to compile 50% of the portfolio, but since they like to see good drawing and observational skills, I need to develop those skills asap and I'm really scared. What are your tips for someone who's really out of practise?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending