The Student Room Group

Please help ! Time needed of Uni ?!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and really looking for some help/reassurance. I begin Uni in Glasgow in sept for adult nursing. However, I have to go for surgery end of October ( I only found out last week ) it is a pretty major surgery and im expected to be absent for about a month, I won't miss any placement but I will miss lectures obviously.

When speaking on forums etc Ive pretty much been told the uni may not accomdate this. I'm pretty worried and stressed. Can anyone offer advice ?
Original post by Myspngs94
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and really looking for some help/reassurance. I begin Uni in Glasgow in sept for adult nursing. However, I have to go for surgery end of October ( I only found out last week ) it is a pretty major surgery and im expected to be absent for about a month, I won't miss any placement but I will miss lectures obviously.

When speaking on forums etc Ive pretty much been told the uni may not accomdate this. I'm pretty worried and stressed. Can anyone offer advice ?

It's sometimes easier to miss placement than lectures as the time can be made up, whereas with missing lectures there are only so many teaching hours and NMC registration requirements have to be met. Lectures are really important at the beginning of the course as you're learning about basic care, A&P, legal aspects, ethics and also have a lot of mandatory clinical skills, moving and handling, basic life support etc. and you wouldn't be allowed on placement without these.

As for telling you what will happen, no one other than the uni will be able to tell you. You need to contact the nursing office at the uni and get their advice on this situation but I would presume they will either allow you to defer for a year or join a January/March cohort if they have one. It's not a case of not wanting to accommodate you, it's just that often external trainers are brought in and it's not possible to bring them back or reschedule for the sake of one person.

There's no point getting worried/stressed about the situation as there's nothing you can do about it if this surgery is unavoidable and it's not possible to reschedule. These things happen and it's a pain but all you can do is take it in your stride and turn it into a positive. It's not the end of the world if you have to take a year out, you can do volunteering, HCA work and spend some time pursuing other interests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending