The Student Room Group
Original post by meranamenahiaata
Is there a list that has Medical Schools that dont require Biology in A-Levels?

I'm going to move this to the medicine forum. :smile:

Here's a list of medical schools with their requirements: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

You need to do your own research. A few don't but not many. It's definitely difficult to get in without it. Why didn't you do it and what did you get in it at GCSE?

Firstly, the link provided earlier is a very good link to consider: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

And although it will remove some medical schools as an option, its important to note several things.

1. Some schools happily accept chemistry and another science, not necessarily biology. So make sure to read the criteria properly.

2. Go through schools methodically. There are different types of criteria including GCSEs and UKCAT/ BMAT which will influence which schools you can apply for.

If you are in year 12 and would like a mentor who can help you consider dilemmas such as these, check out out my profile for more details of the WAMSoc Mentoring scheme.

Otherwise, good luck!

Kind Regards,

WAMSoc
Reply 4
Original post by WAMSocSOTON
Firstly, the link provided earlier is a very good link to consider: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine

And although it will remove some medical schools as an option, its important to note several things.

1. Some schools happily accept chemistry and another science, not necessarily biology. So make sure to read the criteria properly.

2. Go through schools methodically. There are different types of criteria including GCSEs and UKCAT/ BMAT which will influence which schools you can apply for.

If you are in year 12 and would like a mentor who can help you consider dilemmas such as these, check out out my profile for more details of the WAMSoc Mentoring scheme.

Otherwise, good luck!

Kind Regards,

WAMSoc

Do you think it's a disadvantage when applying to those medical schools which ask for chemistry and another science if you don't have biology
Can you explain why you didnt do Biology if you want to be a doctor - ie. 'I dont like Biology' (rethink career).
Reply 6
I didn't take Biology at A Level because at the time I was choosing I was thinking about a different career. I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Language and Geography, with expected grades of all As. Now I have decided Medicine is the path for me, and want to see if I still have options open for university. At GCSE level I got 8 A*s, including an A* in Biology. Do I still have a chance?
Original post by zzoex
I didn't take Biology at A Level because at the time I was choosing I was thinking about a different career. I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Language and Geography, with expected grades of all As. Now I have decided Medicine is the path for me, and want to see if I still have options open for university. At GCSE level I got 8 A*s, including an A* in Biology. Do I still have a chance?

if you drop English and geography at AS,maybe you could catch up before year 13? Be warned(no exaggeration) its a mountain of a course.
Original post by zzoex

Any one has a chance as long as they are realistic and apply strategically.

As mentioned before, biology is not required at all universities if you wish to pursue medicine. Most will ask for Chemistry and another science (Biology/Physics/Maths), which you fulfil. I see you are doing 5 A-levels, which is a lot of work. Bear in mind you only need AAA at the minimum for Medicine, and getting AABBB or A*ABBB will mean you will not be considered in most cases. Therefore consider if you can achieve AAA without compromising yourself and missing out.

With GCSEs, I think most universities will simply want you to have a good English and Maths grades. Some universities will weight your GCSE success as part of their selection progress whilst others ignore it. With yours, I would recommend looking at some GCSE heavy universities with you'll be able to find on their admissions website.
Reply 9
Same here. I was looking for a different career but all of a sudden I feel like taking medical

Latest

Trending

Trending