The Student Room Group

Worried about my sister's behaviour - please advise

Hi

For the last couple of years my sister has been suffering from various mental health problems, which keep being misdiagnosed and nobody really knows what is going on with her - all I know is she is on various kinds of prescription tranquilizer drugs.

However, in the last year there have been additional issues which have had me wondering if she may have been sexually assaulted or abused by someone and I could use some advice on what people think about it - or if anyone thinks it is something else - because nobody in the family knows what's going on and it isn't getting better.

The things I've noticed that have changed in the last year are:

1) Avoiding being around men, or being openly hostile and/or stubborn/unfriendly to men, including myself and my dad (my dad is quite upset by it).

2) Refusing to sit in the passenger seat if myself or my dad is driving.

3) Suddenly starting to date women and stop dating men.

4) Declaring an obsessive crush on her openly gay (and massively camp) friend who is the only man she will talk to.

5) Changing her whole appearance every week, wearing wigs or dying her hair a different colour every week.

6) Being particularly withdrawn, staying in bed, in a room with the lights off/blinds shut and not talking to anyone.

7) Going out less or going out looking a mess or with seemingly random/inappropriate clothes on.

She has also been known to do the following:

- Get so drunk she has to be picked up by the ambulance.

- Chat to weird older people or groups of men in pubs by herself whilst scamming drinks off people.

- Be sexually inappropriate/immature

- Be socially inappropriate to strangers

- Have no sense of the world around her

Advise would be great. Thanks
How old is she?
Reply 2
Original post by Clez
Hi

For the last couple of years my sister has been suffering from various mental health problems, which keep being misdiagnosed and nobody really knows what is going on with her - all I know is she is on various kinds of prescription tranquilizer drugs.

However, in the last year there have been additional issues which have had me wondering if she may have been sexually assaulted or abused by someone and I could use some advice on what people think about it - or if anyone thinks it is something else - because nobody in the family knows what's going on and it isn't getting better.

1) Avoiding being around men, or being openly hostile and/or stubborn/unfriendly to men, including myself and my dad (my dad is quite upset by it).

4) Declaring an obsessive crush on her openly gay (and massively camp) friend who is the only man she will talk to.

5) Changing her whole appearance every week, wearing wigs or dying her hair a different colour every week.

6) Being particularly withdrawn, staying in bed, in a room with the lights off/blinds shut and not talking to anyone.

7) Going out less or going out looking a mess or with seemingly random/inappropriate clothes on.

- Chat to weird older people or groups of men in pubs by herself whilst scamming drinks off people.

Perhaps you should see if you can reach out to her friends and see if they've also noticed different behaviour or are worried about her- I wouldn't directly confront her about it, since it might make her close herself off from you even more. She may need someone to let it all out to and confide in, but at the same time not have anyone she feels comfortable enough with to do so, so it might be that the best you can do is just to make it clear that you are there for her and on her side.
Sounds like she is becoming a feminist.

Seriously though, try to talk to her.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by penelopecrux
How old is she?

Reply 5
Original post by Clez
X

Just sorted the date and time on your thread :redface: It was set as 01-01-1970 and therefore wasn't appearing on the first page but it's fixed now for you ^^
Reply 6
Original post by Deyesy
Just sorted the date and time on your thread :redface: It was set as 01-01-1970 and therefore wasn't appearing on the first page but it's fixed now for you ^^

Oh thats weird lol thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Clez
Hi

Sounds like some sort of abuse is a possibility but it could always just be a stage of whatever mh problems she has. I got pretty messed up myself but nothing bad had actually really happened to me.
Has she ever had therapy? That could help. It may actually help for her to go to therapy on day trips or even as a resident. Being away from the outside world could help her to focus on recovery.
You could also try talking to her or friends about it. She may open up to you or at least feel more comfortable around you. Try not to push her to open up to you but let her know that you are there for her and want to help any way you can.

Unfortionately thare isn't really any quick fix. She may need a long time to even accept help let alone for it to work. Does she have anybody she sees regularly like a doctor or psychiatrist. They won't be able to share information with you but you could always ask if you can talk to them about your concerns.
Original post by Clez
Hi

You said she'd received all sorts of diagnosis that turned out to be wrong and that no one seems to know what's going on... What diagnosis did she receive that they back tracked on?

Is she open to help for her mental health?

Are you her younger or older brother?

Quick Reply