The Student Room Group

Peak time of M1?

Hey there,

Im driving to Leeds on Thursday morning but its my first time driving this far from the South!

Im wondering what time is M1 peak at? Im in Southampton and likely to leave from 6am to get to Leeds for 12 max.

Google maps suggested I could go straight from Oxford to M1 as soon as i can (A43) or go around the M1 partly through Birmingham via the M40 and M42.

Like any other road, rush hour times. You're probably looking at about 8 for the peak.

J24-26 are probably the big look out areas because they're close to Nottingham and Derby.
J27 has the potential to get busy.
J28 is anyone's guess. I believe there's some work being done on parts of the A38 and they may have closed a lane off (on the A38). I'd go in expecting at least a bit of traffic around here

Although, saying that, J25-28 is a smart motorway so it may well be smooth sailing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would avoid between 7-9am, and 5-7pm.

Personally, if I have a long journey to do, I generally do it at night. Had to drive from London to Preston a while back, set off at 10, got there just after 1am. Smooth sailing all the way. Generally, any time between 10pm and 5am is nice and quiet no matter where you are.
Original post by Jkizer
Hey there,

Im driving to Leeds on Thursday morning but its my first time driving this far from the South!

Im wondering what time is M1 peak at? Im in Southampton and likely to leave from 6am to get to Leeds for 12 max.

Google maps suggested I could go straight from Oxford to M1 as soon as i can (A43) or go around the M1 partly through Birmingham via the M40 and M42.

The way the M1 had been for the last 24 hours (at least) near where i live right now, i wouldnt bother.
Reply 4
The M1 would be the least of your worries. The clockwise M25 between the M3 and the M1 would be my worst nightmare. Even if you took A roads between Southampton and Oxford, it's such a long way with stops and starts, roundabouts and traffic lights, then you'd be pushing it.

Anyway, the journey's over now. How did you do?
Original post by TheMcSame
Like any other road, rush hour times. You're probably looking at about 8 for the peak.

J24-26 are probably the big look out areas because they're close to Nottingham and Derby.
J27 has the potential to get busy.
J28 is anyone's guess. I believe there's some work being done on parts of the A38 and they may have closed a lane off (on the A38). I'd go in expecting at least a bit of traffic around here

Although, saying that, J25-28 is a smart motorway so it may well be smooth sailing.

What do you mean by "smart motorway"? Motorways are just very long car parks, smart isnt a word I would use to describe them. In fact I cant think of any compliment for a motorway.
Original post by Laomedeia
What do you mean by "smart motorway"?

IIRC, smart motorways make use of variable speed limits in order to reduce/prevent traffic problems, as well as other means of reducing traffic problems such as using the hard shoulder as an active lane (@ speed limits of 50 or lower I believe) ect...

Whereas sections of motorways that only use variable speed limits would be controlled motorways.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know why it is called a smart motorway as it has not hard shoulder..so if you break down you more than likely will die..as I witnessed a horrific crash..a man had broke down he had no where to go but the first lane ..a car behind didn't realise and crashed into the back of him ..he was currently leaning in the passenger door and got crushed to death..the other car flipped with 2 old people in and a dog which flew through the wind screen ..stopping to help these people has traumatized me and I'm now scared to drive on the motorway..so who ever invented the smart motorway with no hard shoulder needs to take a good look at the accidents and deaths this has caused...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending