The Student Room Group

do universitys care about mechanics modules?

hey im in y12 and im taking c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,s1,s2 this year. im finding m2 difficult and i wondered if it would disadvantage my application if i got a b or a c on m2. im a future economics applicant
Original post by james1221212
hey im in y12 and im taking c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,s1,s2 this year. im finding m2 difficult and i wondered if it would disadvantage my application if i got a b or a c on m2. im a future economics applicant

As long as you get an A*/A overall, it won't matter.
Original post by sweeneyrod
As long as you get an A*/A overall, it won't matter.

do you think lse or cambridge would take it into account as a weakness in my application say?
Reply 3
do you think lse or cambridge would take it into account as a weakness in my application say?

Slightly, when I applied to Cambridge I wasn't given an interview because I didnt have enough exam results that were 90 ums or above.
Just make sure you get 90 ums or above in the other exams, I would expect them to appreciate your position if your other results are good enough, since they'd probably see it as a one off. However, if you don't get too many 90 ums results, still apply as Cambridge could just give you an interview if they like your personal statement, however this is rare.
Original post by kennz
Slightly, when I applied to Cambridge I wasn't given an interview because I didnt have enough exam results that were 90 ums or above.
Just make sure you get 90 ums or above in the other exams, I would expect them to appreciate your position if your other results are good enough, since they'd probably see it as a one off. However, if you don't get too many 90 ums results, still apply as Cambridge could just give you an interview if they like your personal statement, however this is rare.

so i dont need to worry too much about m2, if i compensate for it in the other maths exams?

so i dont need to worry too much about m2, if i compensate for it in the other maths exams?

Yeah. I would moreso be careful about your statistics modules since stats is used extensively in economics.
Reply 6

You're doing M2 on friday I take it? so I wouldn't be focusing on this until after you do it. Cambridge will still see is as a slight disadvantage as they are literally looking for the best candidates, but given the course you're applying to, Mechanics won't mean too much as you're doing economics, if you were doing physics I'd be worried.:smile: Doing well in the other exams will certainly help, but for Oxbridge, it doesnt just depend on exam results, they look for specific qualities.

It is obviously better to have good grades in mechanics than not to, but if you have straight 100% UMS apart from mechanics, you will be a strong candidate nevertheless. The most important thing for Cambridge is having as high UMS as possible in Core modules and to a lesser extend Statistics.
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending