The Student Room Group

Musical Instruments

Hello,

I've previously, the past few years, attempted to learn the Piano but seem to find it rather difficult. I'm assume the piano is one of the most simplest instruments to play.

So, I'm wondering, do you think I'd have any better luck with learning to play the guitar?

Thanks!
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

I've previously, the past few years, attempted to learn the Piano but seem to find it rather difficult. I'm assume the piano is one of the most simplest instruments to play.

So, I'm wondering, do you think I'd have any better luck with learning to play the guitar?

Thanks!

Different instruments are difficult in different ways, and for different people. Piano is easy for most people to play at a beginner's level, but you might well find guitar easier. If you know someone who plays guitar, ask if you can have a go, and see if you like it.
Reply 2
You shouldn't trade instruments just because it's a challenge. Learning an instrument is hours of toil and tears and wanting to introduce it to Mr Sledgehammer. You have to stick at it or you won't develop the right kind of discipline to actually get anywhere.
Hello,

Thanks!

I play guitar myself and am currently practising for my Grade 6 exam. Most people I believe get interested into guitar through folk, country music, rock or metal music. I love playing guitar and I play the electric guitar although I started off on the acoustic when I started playing guitar. Whatever guitar suits your music preference is the one you should start off with imo. As I became more interested in rock and metal, I scrapped the acoustic and bought an electric to sound just like the guitarists I listen to and to mess around with the amp. Also the best thing about learning the guitar, you can carry it round everywhere. it's one of those instruments which you just pick up and play and jam about unlike the piano and drums. I actually started learning drums but realised it wasn't the right instrument for me. Listening to favourite songs motivates you to to pick up the guitar and learn the song itself from internet tabs and it's rally fun. If you buy the guitar to start grades, I think you should definitely but the electric guitar. Youc an skip grades and honestly, Grades 1-4 are kinda easy. Grade 5 is medium. Grades 6-8 are harder and require often practice when you have time and the exams are really to pass tbh you shouldn't have a problem.If you just wanna play guitar for the fun of it and to learn songs, that's very good and eventually it'll become a good talent through frequent playing. I hope my 'story' has influenced your decision lol. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Guitar is a little bit harder I think. I've dabbled with piano, can't really dignify it with saying I can play, though I can do a couple of bits that don't sound absolute beginner level, and play guitar properly. Piano there's far less issues with applying the right pressure, it's easier to coordinate yourself, there's less versatility in the way you can play a note/use the instrument, so it's easier to pick up (basically I can play a couple of things on piano with barely any real toil, to not be fluffing notes and sounding crap all over the place with guitar was difficult). That's what I honestly think but that doesn't mean you wouldn't find guitar easier.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Guitar is a little bit harder I think. I've dabbled with piano, can't really dignify it with saying I can play, though I can do a couple of bits that don't sound absolute beginner level, and play guitar properly. Piano there's far less issues with applying the right pressure, it's easier to coordinate yourself, there's less versatility in the way you can play a note/use the instrument, so it's easier to pick up (basically I can play a couple of things on piano with barely any real toil, to not be fluffing notes and sounding crap all over the place with guitar was difficult). That's what I honestly think but that doesn't mean you wouldn't find guitar easier.

I'll agree that guitar is harder to get used to and play. I agree with your opinion on piano as well. But to be good at any musical instrument, you just have to feel the need to play it frequently which helps you become better at it.
I would say most instruments are difficult to learn well, but guitar was easier for me to start than piano was, mainly because you're left and right hands aren't necessarily in sync with piano.
I did violin for 3 years and found it alright, it wasn't difficult. Unfortunately I stopped in year 9 when I struggled finding the time to practice it. (Might start it again in the future though because I really do miss it)

I actually got myself an acoustic guitar around 2 weeks ago so I'm just starting with it. Guitar is a bit more trickier just because there's more strings and more chords to know. Patience is key when it comes to learning instruments. I'm slowly getting the hang of the guitar and I'm really enjoying it. I use a app called "yousician" and it's really good so I recommend using it.
Piano is the easiest to play at the start, yet the hardest to master at the end. Playing both guitars and piano (guitar much better) I can say neither are easy and i struggle most with piano. I do practise is a lot less though than i do guitar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

Thanks!

The piano is feverishly difficult to play. Sure, making a sound is easy, but getting all the right notes in the right order is very difficult. Instruments like guitar are easy if all you want to do is strum some chords but as soon as you want to actually play the instrument you are back into extreme territory. Personally I think the woodwind instruments are the easiest. Most have the same or similar fingering as recorder and once you have mastered the embouchure progression is rapid. Brass and string instruments are up there in the hard category.

Don't be put off though. Do a little practice every day and if you can afford it, some lessons.

Enjoy!
Drums is actually pretty fun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending