The Student Room Group

First year student and can't find any insight days or summer internships

I'm a first year student doing economics and I've applied to every insight day and summer internships for pretty much all the big banks but I've not been accepted to any. I want to go into the banking or finance industry and I want an internship in my second year but since I can't get an insight day or first year summer internship, does this mean I'm screwed? I dont know what to do, I'm still applying for internships but its so competitive and I'm not getting through. What should I do?

How can I make the most of my summer in terms of employment? If anyone has been in my situation, please give me some advice? I really want an internship in my second year and I know I need to do something worth while in my summer, but if I still don't get any summer internships in my first year, what else could I do? help?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
What university do you go to?
I am pretty much in the same situation, but doing Economics and Politics.
I would say just leave the internship for the summer of your second year as most internships are for preultimate or final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by glebp
What university do you go to?

I go to the university of York (other than that, I'm not gonna give away any more info)

I've applied to internships from my university's careers section as well, but no luck :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by mariakrelifa50
I am pretty much in the same situation, but doing Economics and Politics.
I would say just leave the internship for the summer of your second year as most internships are for preultimate or final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea it sucks, I'm still trying but I feel like I'm not gonna get anything this summer. Next year internships will be even harder and more competitive as well.
Original post by Bustamove
I go to the university of York (other than that, I'm not gonna give away any more info)

I've applied to internships from my university's careers section as well, but no luck :frown:

Apply to Big4 in order to ensure long run success. At the moment, I would stay clear from IBD in your case, however would still apply. Big4 will give you some mobility in the near future and is a very logical step. Isn't that bad either.
Reply 7
Original post by glebp
Apply to Big4 in order to ensure long run success. At the moment, I would stay clear from IBD in your case, however would still apply. Big4 will give you some mobility in the near future and is a very logical step. Isn't that bad either.

I've applied to the Big 4 for insight days but was unsuccessful, they didn't have any summer internships for first years (well not that I'm aware of). I just wanna find an internship anywhere this summer, as long as its related to finance. Next year is gonna be tough for me to find one in my second year.. Not much I can really do now for this summer is there? Guess I'm gonna have to keep looking for an internship with a SME and hope I get something this summer...
Original post by Bustamove
I've applied to the Big 4 for insight days but was unsuccessful, they didn't have any summer internships for first years (well not that I'm aware of). I just wanna find an internship anywhere this summer, as long as its related to finance. Next year is gonna be tough for me to find one in my second year.. Not much I can really do now for this summer is there? Guess I'm gonna have to keep looking for an internship with a SME and hope I get something this summer...

After the big4 not sure.. You are going to have to grind hard man and turn your work ethic to the max

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending