The Student Room Group

Are these grades good enough for Russel Group?

i was silly and left all my revision to late, so i know if i properly try next year I can get good AS-Alevels, but are these predicted/realistic grades good enough for GCSE?

English Lang - A/B
Literature - B
Maths - A (Confirmed, finished it early)
Performing Arts - A (same as above)
Drama - A
ICT - B
RE - A/A*
Double Award Science - AB-BB ( biology let me done, eugh dont even)
History -B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nmeechan
i was silly and left all my revision to late, so i know if i properly try next year I can get good AS-Alevels, but are these predicted/realistic grades good enough for GCSE?

English Lang - A/B
Literature - B
Maths - A (Confirmed, finished it early)
Performing Arts - A (same as above)
Drama - A
ICT - B
RE - A/A*
Double Award Science - AB-BB ( biology let me done, eugh dont even)
History -B

Oh, I'm doing either sociology or chemistry ( depending on if i get the suitable grade as my school require AB ), RE, History and Government and Politics..

The universities i'm leaning towards at the moment are Glasgow, Durham, Liverpool, Manchester or Queens,Belfast. I'm hoping to either do Psychology, Criminology or Law
Yes.
Reply 3
Original post by A-LJLB
Yes.

Do you think that is sufficent for a Cambridge University candidate?

My predictions are:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Science Core - A*
Science Additional - A*
ICT - A*
Geography - A*/A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
RE - B/A
Music - C

Non GCSE qualification

Additional Maths (Advanced FSMQ) - A
Level 3 Algebra (Pass or fail only) - Pass
Sigh. No matter how many times this has been asked before, or how easy it is to check entry requirements on university admission webpages, it seems some people will keep on rehashing this old question.
Original post by gurpartapl

My predictions are:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Science Core - A*
Science Additional - A*
ICT - A*
Geography - A*/A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
RE - B/A
Music - C

Non GCSE qualification

Yes
Reply 6
Original post by gurpartapl

My predictions are:
Maths - A*
Further maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Science Core - A*
Science Additional - A*
ICT - A*
Geography - A*/A
English Language - B
English Literature - B
RE - B/A
Music - C

Non GCSE qualification

Unlikely because of the B's and the one C but you never know
I attended a oxbridge conference and a man who's a part of the admissions and applications process said that if you do not have minimum 6 A*'s and the rest A's your unlikely to succeed against other candidates or even have your application looked at
The Russell Group is a marketing concept. That is all.

It was set up when the Uni sector was expanded 20 years ago to try and make out that they are 'special' Unis. They aren't. Going to an RG Uni will not get you a 'better' degree or give you instant happiness or a guarantee of a great life.

You will read a great deal of utter bunkum on TSR about RG - mostly from people who are still at school. Plenty of good Unis are not in the Russell Group - Bath, St Andrews etc. You really do need to get the 'RG or bust' idea out of your head. Go and look at other Unis and you will see that often their facilities, buildings, housing etc is far better than the RGs and their courses are far more innovative and have many more 'extras' like study abroad, placements, flexible degree programs than any RG Uni.

In terms of GCSEs - look at the requirements of degree courses you are interested in, you'll be surprised. Law at Bristol for instance makes no mention of GCSEs at all in it course requirements.
Original post by abbigm1
I attended a oxbridge conference and a man who's a part of the admissions and applications process said that if you do not have minimum 6 A*'s and the rest A's your unlikely to succeed against other candidates or even have your application looked at

This isn't true
Original post by abbigm1

This is utter rubbish and is clearly 'I think' or 'I've heard' dressed up as 'I was told'.

No University would state this - their requirements are clear on their websites and that is where you need to look for reliable info !
Oxbridge look at your A-levels and application on a whole, not just your GCSE's, so I doubt the odd B or C would eliminate your chances completely. I've seen people do only 8 GCSE's, not all graded A*, but still got in for the extra curricular, the interview and the A-level results. Your application is alot more than just GCSE grades so I don't think you could possibly determine your fate at Oxbridge at such an early stage (unless of course you failed everything or something)
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
This is utter rubbish and is clearly 'I think' or 'I've heard' dressed up as 'I was told'.

No University would state this - their requirements are clear on their websites and that is where you need to look for reliable info !

you cannot be serious why would I lie about this. I genuinely did attend a PIXL conference where people from the application and admissions process of oxbridge and st mary's university spoke to me and other 'high achieving' students.
The man from oxbridge actually said in response to a student who asked about minimum grades 'candidates usually offer at least 6-7 A*'s and it is unlikely you can compete with anything lower' and to that every student was in shock. It is hard to believe but don't judge me by your standards please, just because you perhaps would speak 'utter rubbish' doesn't mean everyone would.

Also, the man told us that Oxbridge could not care less about extra-curricular activities and this gives you no advantage whatsoever in being given an offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abbigm1
the man told us that Oxbridge .

Oxford is not 'every RG University'.

You have 5 choices on your UCAS application.
Reply 13
Oxford is not 'every RG University'.

You have 5 choices on your UCAS application.

Lol stop trying to take me for an idiot. The person I responded to clarified that they were concerned about CAMBRIDGE in particular, hence why I am speaking about OXBRIDGE. Does that make sense to you?
And I wasn't talking about oxford actually, OXBRIDGE refers to both cambridge and oxford. 1+1=2 So that is two choices.
It isn't nice when someone takes you for an idiot is it?
Original post by abbigm1
OXBRIDGE refers to both cambridge and oxford. 1+1=2 So that is two choices.

You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.

I suggest you do some more research before claiming you know more than anyone else.
Got 8 C's at GCSE, got an offer from Warwick, however AAAA at AS Level. Just shows that GCSE's do not mean anything (unless LSE,Oxbridge,UCL,ICL) A levels are priority.
Original post by abbigm1
Lol stop trying to take me for an idiot. The person I responded to clarified that they were concerned about CAMBRIDGE in particular, hence why I am speaking about OXBRIDGE. Does that make sense to you?
And I wasn't talking about oxford actually, OXBRIDGE refers to both cambridge and oxford. 1+1=2 So that is two choices.
It isn't nice when someone takes you for an idiot is it?

At the end of the day you're wrong, regardless of where you heard it from. The odd B or C will not write you off for an offer. And again, you can only apply to one of the two.
Reply 17
You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.

I suggest you do some more research before claiming you know more than anyone else.

Lol I was already informed of this at the conference the reason why I made reference to oxbridge is because this applies to both. I am not claiming I know more than anyone, all I'm doing is sharing the information that was given to me by someone who is a professional in this area. Assuming you do not work for neither cambridge or oxford means you are not.
Reply 18
Original post by A-LJLB
At the end of the day you're wrong, regardless of where you heard it from. The odd B or C will not write you off for an offer. And again, you can only apply to one of the two.

I am aware of that, unless you work for either oxford or cambridge your claim is simply your opinion whereas mine is based on someone who does and not my own personal opinion.

And unless you didn't notice in my first post I stated after what I said 'you never know' so I didn't completely rule out any possibility
(edited 7 years ago)
My "claim" is my close friend getting an offer from Cambridge as well as other people I speak to having received interviews. They didn't have straight A*s/As.

Lose the attitude

Original post by abbigm1
I am aware of that, unless you work for either oxford or cambridge your claim is simply your opinion whereas mine is based on someone who does and not my own personal opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest