Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Work Experience for Psychology

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi, i am still in college but i am worried that i won't be able to get into the University courses that I'm interested in because i have no work experience around the field. Plus my personal statement is useless at the moment.

I am thinking about either going to Nottingham Uni and studying Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology, Leicester Uni and studying the same course, or Salford Manchester to study straight Psychology.

If anyone that is doing or have already done these courses could you please suggest what work experience would be best, or what you did that helped you get on the course please as i am really struggling as there is nothing in my area that could help me.

Thank you.

Does these unis require work experience for your course? Because I'm doing psychology and I did no work experience for it.

You dont need it nor is it a requirement

Focus on wider reading - a lot easier and far better on a PS and interview.

I went to help out at my local RSPCA shelter for 3 weeks over summer (I already worked in one of their charity shops and fundraised for them so it was pretty easy to get time with the animals). I know it's not the same as humans but it allowed me to discuss things like operant conditioning in my personal statement because i'd watched animals have their behaviour assessed and seen them training the dogs to behave in a manner more suitable for homes. I really enjoyed it too so it was worth doing!

Like it's been said above, it's all about what you can apply. Reading is definitely a big one, they like to see you can go beyond what they teach in a class room, but universities are well aware that its nearly impossible to get work experience directly linked to psychology so don't worry if you can't find anything. You could always volunteer for a charity like childline? my friend does the switch board on a sunday and she really enjoys helping people plus it's relevant to psychology
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.