The Student Room Group

Turkey visa move suggested by UK diplomat, papers show

A British diplomat suggested visa-free travel for some Turkish nationals should be extended to the UK, documents leaked to The Sunday Times show.

She suggested the move be considered for Turkish "special passport" holders, who are mainly civil servants.

The EU backed Turks getting visa-free travel inside Europe's Schengen area, as a deal for accepting more migrants.

But the UK home and foreign secretaries said any suggestion of changing visa arrangements were "completely untrue".

The leaked telegrams, sent on 5 May by Janet Douglas, the deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Ankara relate to the EU's own visa deal, planned as recompense for Turkish help dealing with the Syrian migrant crisis.

The deal, to allow visa-free travel to Schengen countries, was offered in return for Turkey taking back migrants who crossed the Aegean Sea to Greece. The EU fears that, without it, Turkey will not control migration.

Read More:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36510009
People from Turkey are no better than those from Syria etc.
Original post by MildredMalone
People from Turkey are no better than those from Syria etc.

Meaning what? That they are refugees fleeing a civil war, which was partly created by the West?

The article refers to a suggestion by a civil servant. Its only right that all options are considered and in this case ist whether we need the deal with Turkey amd that we should consider the consequences.
Original post by 999tigger
Meaning what? That they are refugees fleeing a civil war, which was partly created by the West?

The article refers to a suggestion by a civil servant. Its only right that all options are considered and in this case ist whether we need the deal with Turkey amd that we should consider the consequences.

I'm not talking about why they're migrating, I'm talking about how their culture and behaviours are incompatibable with our own.
We should patrol the borders, and not let any of the migrants in.
I'm not talking about why they're migrating, I'm talking about how their culture and behaviours are incompatibable with our own.
We should patrol the borders, and not let any of the migrants in.

No migrants at all or just the brown ones?
No migrants at all or just the brown ones?

The ones from culturally islamic countries.
The ones from culturally islamic countries.

Which are?
Which are?

The ones relevant right now are the places the "refugees" come from, and Turkey.
The ones relevant right now are the places the "refugees" come from, and Turkey.

How do you reconcile that with being signed up to the Genevea Convention on Refugees?
How do you reconcile that with being signed up to the Genevea Convention on Refugees?

Once they get to Turkey, they should claim asylum there.
Once they get to Turkey, they should claim asylum there.

Thats not what the convention says. If you dont have agreement with Turkey, there is nothing to stop the refugees from crossing borders.

I like you argument though, telling the Turks to deal with it, from a war that we had a hand in creating. With a boew they are no better, but then expecting them tp absorb all the refugees.
I like you argument though, telling the Turks to deal with it, from a war that we had a hand in creating. With a boew they are no better, but then expecting them tp absorb all the refugees.

If the Turks don't want them, they can control their borders.
If the Turks don't want them, they can control their borders.

Or they can just let them through on their way to Europe, which is where they want to go anyway.

Btw when you are banning all these people, then what about ones from other countries. How will you distinguish between muslim, Islamist and brown person or are they all the same?
(edited 7 years ago)
Btw when you are banning all these people, then what about ones from other countries. How will you distinguish between muslim, Islamist and brown person or are they all the same?

I don't see why we should distinguish. Half of British muslims think being gay should be illegal, and only a third would report someone they know if they were involved in terrorism. If views like that come from people born and raised here,imagine what the figures would be for people from islamic countries.
I don't see why we should distinguish. Half of British muslims think being gay should be illegal, and only a third would report someone they know if they were involved in terrorism. If views like that come from people born and raised here,imagine what the figures would be for people from islamic countries.

So if you dont distinguish, then you are treating all muslims and brown people the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending