The Student Room Group

Vet Nurse Training?

Does anyone know if it is possible to train as a vet nurse while in full time study? I am really interested in doing this, and would like to find out some info. I am already a work experience student with one practice, would a reference from them be enough for me to enrol as a student nurse at a training practice, and would I self-study with my own books and sit the exams when they come along? I know of one nurse who did this. Sorry for all the questions but I need to know my stuff before phoning around and badgering receptionists :wink:
Some practices take on people wanting to train as auxileries and train them themselves - a couple of days a week at college and the rest working (and getting paid!) in the practice.
Reply 2
Veterinary Nurse Training for the National Dipolma, is normally one day a week at an agricultural college, taking exams and pratical exams at the end of year one and two. Its a two years course. You work full time in a vets that do nurse training, so you get paid for it and day release to go to college! Hope thats some help! kimxxx
Reply 3
I read on the RCVS website that training can take place on a part-time basis? Also, Im already at uni studying for another degree so I cant do any college courses. I just need to know if its possible to study and work for the qualification without attending college.
Reply 4
Hey,

You have to attend college as part of the training, you also have to do a minimum number of hours in a training practice (when I trained this was in the region of 3000 hours, although college/degree training counted towards this as well). I would suggest sending the RCVS vet nurse department an email (Email: [email protected] Telephone: 020 7202 0788) and asking them directly for an accurate answer :0) Good Luck!

Beth

Latest

Trending

Trending