The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh film and tv course

so I want to become a director when I am older. The best uni atm for film i found was Edinburgh. I know this is a very popular uni so does anyone know how hard film and tv is to get into i assume it's easier than degrees like History as it's less popular. Also, anyone who has completed the course- what is it like? and what are the portfolios you have to submit, i only have the stuff i made for a level as an example of film as i don't have any film equipment at home, would that disadvantage me? and finally, anyone whos been, whats the student life like for clubs and partying and student facilities etc. Thanks!
Original post by matt991610
so I want to become a director when I am older. The best uni atm for film i found was Edinburgh. I know this is a very popular uni so does anyone know how hard film and tv is to get into i assume it's easier than degrees like History as it's less popular. Also, anyone who has completed the course- what is it like? and what are the portfolios you have to submit, i only have the stuff i made for a level as an example of film as i don't have any film equipment at home, would that disadvantage me? and finally, anyone whos been, whats the student life like for clubs and partying and student facilities etc. Thanks!

I am afraid it is extremely competitive and statistically speaking much harder to get into than subjects like history because although less people want to do it there are also far less places

if you look here:http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/imports/fileManager/2012%20for%20web.pdf

At admission statistics for Edinburgh 2012-13 you will see that 243 people applied and 24 were offered places ( with 13 acceptances/ making the offer ) that is an offer rate of 9.9% )

And What uni quote an acceptance rate of 5%for 2015
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/film-and-television-ba-hons/university-of-edinburgh/cd/54978122/5508/

with 431 applicants and 22 successful applicants

In fact I suspect it is one of the hardest courses to get into. However you should not let that put you off- email them and ask what they are looking for in the portfolio explaining that you have limited access to equipment.

Edinburgh is a great place to study and has one of the best arts scenes in the country.

Good Luck
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest