The Student Room Group

Interview help about different industry

Hi, I've got an interview coming up for a job in an industry I've never worked in. So I was wondering how I could relate this to my past experience which are both in the retail industry. This upcoming interview is for film and motion industry. I understand that if they thought my experience was inadequate then they wouldn't have invited me for an interview. However apart from the general transferable skills like customer service, team work, punctuality etc I don't really see how I can relate any past experience to the film industry. Like if they ask for a time I've been under pressure then I would talk about something to do with my retail job or how I've provided good customer service etc. I have done some research about the company but would they ask specific questions where I would need specific answers or just general questions where I could provide general answers? I know this last bit might be difficult to answer but I am abit worried because the one interview I had that wasn't related to the industry I worked in I failed miserably at. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You are along the right lines. If it were me I would:

Do a reasonable level of research about the job, he company and the people who are interviewing.

You are right in if they ask you, then you use what you have and you emphasise your transferable skills. You might make a point of saying those skills are exactly what are needed or fit the job description and impress upon them how practical or appropriate they are. Back up every claim with an example. Dont over or under sell it.

Be confident they invited you, so from what they have seen they are interested.
Look at the job spec and conbince them you can do it. Part of it is reasonable confidence.
Reply 2
Ok thanks a lot. I have researched the company and the interviewers but as it is a small company the information is limited. I will read more over the job description again though. Also with this job you have to be fluent in another language so would they conduct like half in English and half in the other language or does it just depend on the company do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending