The Student Room Group

Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects?

This poll is closed

Do you think everyone should do the Higher Tier?

Yes, they're getting a pass with minimal effort 42%
No, some people struggle to attain a C 53%
I'm not sure4%
Total votes: 135
What do you think? I believe everyone should be encouraged to do the same paper as most people which is known as the 'Higher' one.

Another question: Does a C on the Foundation Tier paper equate to that on the Higher one?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say they are getting a C grade without any effort as from what I have seen, especially in maths where it is easier to get a C in higher compared to foundation.

They should definitely get rid of the foundation tier, though. Don't really see the purpose of it because then you just enforce a lower ceiling on something that is already seen as "easy" by so many students and the general public.
Reply 2
Yes only idiots do foundation
Hmm not sure. I remember in highschool i was in the lowest set for maths and our teacher entered our class for the higher paper. We asked her why she didn't put us in for the foundation paper and she told us it's actually easier to obtain a C in the higher paper than it is in the foundation.
Definitely. It's a joke how easy foundation papers are. The foundation maths papers for example are literally year 7 level maths.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
What do you think? I believe everyone should be encouraged to do the same paper as most people which is known as the 'Higher' one.

Another question: Does a C on the Foundation Tier paper equate to that on the Higher one?

I think they should put foundation on higher tier, for lower C than a higher C would be equiv to higher tier. For example on new 1-9 like 4 a foundation tier pass, 5 a higher tier low pass, 6 a strong C/low B from higher tier.
Reply 6
Nope it should not be removed, but should be increased to atleast a B.
Reply 7
Original post by Prussia

You tell em
Reply 8
Original post by Prussia

The word is not "idiot" it is not being mentally challenged enough to do i
Reply 9
Original post by Prussia
Retards!

Spoiler

I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.
Original post by Jamie Vardy

I was forced to do foundation tier in one core subject despite several complaints and despite having proven myself capable of achieveing Cs in a foundation tier exam so certainly should be scrapped imo.
Reply 11
Original post by Kryptonian
I was forced to do foundation tier in one core subject despite several complaints and despite having proven myself capable of achieveing Cs in a foundation tier exam so certainly should be scrapped imo.

Lol what a loser! Hope I helped!
Reply 12
Original post by Lalarw
I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.

I have almost all A*s! Rot in your Cs 😊!!!
Reply 13
Original post by Prussia
I have almost all A*s! Rot in your Cs 😊!!!

I have B/A'S, don't need to be big headed about it PRUSSIA. Are you sure they aren't Btec distinctions that are the same as A*. I believe you are mistaken good sir.
I think that though some find it more difficult to get a decent score on a test than others (as the subject may come naturally to them), I think there should be a one-tier paper that goes across all grades so that people can aspire for different grades (whether that be a C or an A*).

In answer to your second question, the two C's don't equate if you're talking about marks as you need to score higher to get a C in foundation than a C in higher (since Higher tier goes all the way up to an A*).
Reply 15
Original post by Lalarw
I have B/A'S, don't need to be big headed about it PRUSSIA. Are you sure they aren't Btec distinctions that are the same as A*. I believe you are mistaken good sir.

I'm sure! You in ten years:

Spoiler

Original post by Prussia
Lol what a loser! Hope I helped!

**** off loser stop stalking me.
Reply 17
Original post by prussia
i'm sure! You in ten years:

Spoiler

hahhaha don't. Make. Assumptions. Love.
Reply 18
Original post by Kryptonian
**** off loser stop stalking me.

Drown in your Cs!!! Have a nice day!

Spoiler

Getting rid of foundation will mean more people are going to be scared of getting 'U's if they don't put effort so they will more likely to work harder to achieve a 'better' grade, which is going to be good for them but also bad for everyone else as the grade boundaries will be high AF.. Also I highly believe that they wont withdraw 'Foundation' because all exam boards has the same amount of grades everyone gets, so if then everyone gets C's + their value of exam board will get ruined as the government will think its very easy to pass so they will most likely shut it down... this happened to IGCSE English Language, they were forces to close this because so many people where passing

Quick Reply

Latest