The Student Room Group

What's A-level Further Maths like?

At the moment I'm doing my GCSEs and am planning to take Economics, Geography/Biology, Maths and Further Maths.

I've heard that it's extremely hard and somewhat different to normal A level maths, but I've never really been given an insight more detailed than that.

What makes it so different and difficult, and is there anyway that I can evaluate if I'd be any good at it, now? Since I need to set my options in stone pretty soon and I'm kind of on the bench.

I really like maths, it's my best subject and after doing my gcse exams I think I'll get an A*, fingers crossed. I've also done algebra level 3 at gcse level and apparently that can be quite helpful with maths a level but not too sure on further maths? Also, for future plans, I like the idea of going into finance, but my back-up plan is something in physiotherapy.

Overall, is it worth it to take? And is there any other information about it anyone could give me? (I'll most probably be doing Edexcel further maths)
thanks
To be honest, I thought the beginning of FP1 was quite easy... but then it obviously gets harder and more difficult.

I found normal A level maths difficult too... You just have to be willing to put a lot of time into understanding and practicing! If you love maths, give it a shot!

Edit: Definitely worth it though if you are willing to study 'properly'.
Reply 2
AS is fine. FP1 is about as difficult as c3/c4, maybe a little easier.
But A2 is where it all goes to ****. Personally found the jump massive but not everyone will (esp not everyone on this forum :s) Be prepared to work hard, it takes a huge amount of your time - I'm spending way more time on it than I am on normal maths - C3/C4 papers are almost like a nice easy break from it, lol.
If you love maths, do it. Don't if you don't have a genuine interest because everything else will suffer while you try and get your head around it.Though difficult, it is wayyyy more interesting than normal maths.
It's great until OCR decides to screw you over with the hardest mechanics 2 paper since the spec began🙃. But if you genuinely enjoy maths you should do fine👍
Reply 4
Original post by amingo26
To be honest, I thought the beginning of FP1 was quite easy... but then it obviously gets harder and more difficult.

I found normal A level maths difficult too... You just have to be willing to put a lot of time into understanding and practicing! If you love maths, give it a shot!

Edit: Definitely worth it though if you are willing to study 'properly'.

Yeah, I reckon I'll find it difficult too, but if I enjoy it then I guess it'll all work out in the end, thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by lazuli
AS is fine. FP1 is about as difficult as c3/c4, maybe a little easier.
But A2 is where it all goes to ****. Personally found the jump massive but not everyone will (esp not everyone on this forum :s) Be prepared to work hard, it takes a huge amount of your time - I'm spending way more time on it than I am on normal maths - C3/C4 papers are almost like a nice easy break from it, lol.
If you love maths, do it. Don't if you don't have a genuine interest because everything else will suffer while you try and get your head around it.Though difficult, it is wayyyy more interesting than normal maths.

Hahaha, yeh I heard it takes a lot of time to work on, I'm hoping that I just learn to procrastinate a lot less at A level, otherwise it's all going downhill
Reply 6
Original post by swagmister
It's great until OCR decides to screw you over with the hardest mechanics 2 paper since the spec began🙃. But if you genuinely enjoy maths you should do fine👍

lool, well good luck with your OCR exams anyway, whenever they are
A2 is a whole different game compared with AS
Reply 8
I'm doing the whole alevel this year, A2 is big jump from AS Further Maths but if you do Further Maths the normal maths course will be an easy a*

Quick Reply

Latest